MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-24-2003, 09:21 AM   #1
KiltedBanshees93GT
Registered Member

Default Starting to get worried

I posted previously about a strange noise I've been getting in my car, and it seems to be getting worse. I've noticed in the last couple of days that the car is making a louder whirring/cycling noise coming from the rear end. It is loudest when turning hard right, the harder the louder, with left coming in a close second, and now I can hear it when going straight but it is much fainter.
The sound reminds me of a gear whirring, but it cycles in loudness during the turn about 2 whirr's a second at less than 5mph.
You folks think I should take it into a shop to get it checked? I've never heard this type of noise coming from a rear before (Also never had one go south on me before tho).
Should I be worried?

J
Rice Haters Club Member #239

"I find your lack of faith...disturbing."

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken
KiltedBanshees93GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 03:53 PM   #2
red
Registered Member

I had the nut that holds the pinion yoke come loose on me and made the rear in my '65 whine.

To tighten it, I had to unbolt the u-joint at the rear end of the drive shaft and tighten the pinion nut inside the yoke. Pinion nut could be turned with my fingers so it was very loose. If your pinion nut does not want to tighten, don't try too hard, because this sets the pinion depth and you don't want to crush the washer in there that is keeping the depth correct.

It could be many other things, oil low or needs to be changed, something broke inside, ect.

I ended up installing a new Currie pig with traction lock and 3:55 gears. Not a cheap solution, but it was something I had been saving for.
red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 03:39 AM   #3
mustangman65_79
My poor 79 RIP

Sounds to me like your low on fluid, and is causeing your bearing to go out.

But it definatly sounds like bearings to me, since it is coming from both sides. IF so, your going to need to buy new bearings, and take your rear end apart to fix it. Shouldn't be to hard.
'94 Lightning
'96 Trans am
mustangman65_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 08:57 AM   #4
KiltedBanshees93GT
Registered Member

Well, if Im going to have to pull the pumpkin, I would do well to just have it rebuilt while its apart, no? How much do you guys think that would run (Ive never done a rebuild on a rearend, and dont relish the idea of screwing it up myself. I better let someone else do it <g>)
Also, it only seems to start doing that after the car has been driven for a good distance, would changing out the fluid maybe keep the bearings from crapping, or ya think its inevatible at this point?

J
Rice Haters Club Member #239

"I find your lack of faith...disturbing."

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken
KiltedBanshees93GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 06:03 AM   #5
mustangman65_79
My poor 79 RIP

Well, chainging the fluid can't hurt at all.
'94 Lightning
'96 Trans am
mustangman65_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 11:57 PM   #6
Rev
Registered Member

Default Change the fluid ...

To change the fluid, you're gonna have to remove the old fluid and I would use new synthetic 75-90 wt (Mobil1) and add friction modifier if that's called for in your application. Maybe you won't need more than that if you're lucky. Check with your local Ford dealer on that need for the friction modifier used in limited slip diferentials..

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote