MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-11-2011, 03:20 PM   #1
Redstang66
Registered Member

Default Starting problem

Hey Guys! Fisrt time user and brand new menber of the forum. I have a problem I could use some advice on. I have a 66, 289 with a 4 barrel and atto transmission I bought about 2 months ago. The engine has always started with just a touch of the ignition key. A couple of weeks ago, I backed it out of the garage and the engine went dead and when I tried to start it, It would not hit. The battery is strong enough to turn the engine very well. Since it would not even sputter, I suspected an electrical problem - did the standard arc test with a plug wire and was getting fire out of the distributer. Then suspected a weak coil; put on a new coil and it started right up. The next day, I drove it about 5 miles to a gas station and filled up. I tried to start the engine and again, it would not hit. Kept trying and gave up and had it towed to a garage. It sat for a day and the mechanic started it right up - tried several times during the day and no problem. I picked the car up and drove it home. Pulled into the garage, shut it down, tried the starter - instant start. I waited a few minutes and tried it again. You guessed it - car wouldn't hit at all. Let if set for a week and tried again - started up with no problem. Puzzling because I had the same problem with both cold and warm engine.

Any ideas?? I really appreciare the help.
Redstang66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:58 PM   #2
bmxmon
Registered Member

Default Re: Starting problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstang66 View Post
Hey Guys! Fisrt time user and brand new menber of the forum. I have a problem I could use some advice on. I have a 66, 289 with a 4 barrel and atto transmission I bought about 2 months ago. The engine has always started with just a touch of the ignition key. A couple of weeks ago, I backed it out of the garage and the engine went dead and when I tried to start it, It would not hit. The battery is strong enough to turn the engine very well. Since it would not even sputter, I suspected an electrical problem - did the standard arc test with a plug wire and was getting fire out of the distributer. Then suspected a weak coil; put on a new coil and it started right up. The next day, I drove it about 5 miles to a gas station and filled up. I tried to start the engine and again, it would not hit. Kept trying and gave up and had it towed to a garage. It sat for a day and the mechanic started it right up - tried several times during the day and no problem. I picked the car up and drove it home. Pulled into the garage, shut it down, tried the starter - instant start. I waited a few minutes and tried it again. You guessed it - car wouldn't hit at all. Let if set for a week and tried again - started up with no problem. Puzzling because I had the same problem with both cold and warm engine.

Any ideas?? I really appreciare the help.
I would buy a starter blanket, plus check to make sure your fuel lines aren't running by anything too hot.