MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-08-2006, 06:52 PM   #1
Elvis
Registered Member

Default Starting Problems

I have a '67 with a 302. The engine starts great when it is cold but recently when I drive my car for more than a few minutes (like 15 minutes or more), then turn it off and try to start it up it will turn over really slowly and hardly start or not at all - sort of like the battery is dead. When it did that today I checked the cables and noticed that the cable from the starter to the starter solenoid and from the solenoid to the positive terminal were very hot to the touch. I had not noticed that before. When I let it cool for 15-20 minutes and tried to start it the engine turned over great and fired right up. Any ideas?
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 05:35 PM   #2
Rev
Registered Member

Default Re: Starting Problems

That's what my rebuilt starters from AutoZone do when they're on the way out. Mine usually only last a year or two at the best. I do have a lifetime warranty. I'm probably on the 3rd or 4th starter motor now. I do take it out of the car and get them to test it for free. They always give me a new one so I guess I can't bitch too much. Kind a PINTA to have to go through that though. Same deal applies to alternators, every two years or so ..........

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 05:45 PM   #3
Elvis
Registered Member

Well, I'm kind of worried about that. I haven't had the starter off since I installed the headers and I'm not sure if I can get at it. It is really tight in there. I thought it might be the starter cable because there is a 1/2 inch gap at the starter end before the insulation starts and it is really close to the headers. Is it possible that the heat from the headers is causing it to deteriorate? On the other hand, it is a rebuilt Auto Zone starter so maybe my worst fears will come true. How about one of those mini starters I see advertised. Is that worth a shot? Thanks E.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:41 PM   #4
Phillyfanfrombirth
Registered Member

I've gone through this before when it gets hot outside... it will crank fine when it is cooled down, but if you were to stop for gas or something that only takes a couple minutes, it will "rer... rer... rer....voom..." it's real slow for the first couple cranks, then it just kicks over.Back off your timing a bit if it gets too bad.
Phillyfanfrombirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:07 AM   #5
rwhite65
Ride Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis
Well, I'm kind of worried about that. I haven't had the starter off since I installed the headers and I'm not sure if I can get at it. It is really tight in there. I thought it might be the starter cable because there is a 1/2 inch gap at the starter end before the insulation starts and it is really close to the headers. Is it possible that the heat from the headers is causing it to deteriorate? On the other hand, it is a rebuilt Auto Zone starter so maybe my worst fears will come true. How about one of those mini starters I see advertised. Is that worth a shot? Thanks E.
I started having this problem and decided to avoid it before it got worse. I put on a ford mini starter, off a mid 90's Ford f150. I bought it used a few summers ago from a local junkyard. Never had any issues with it or turning the car over since. I have full length headers in the car, with an AOD to boot. So it is safe to say it was a major affair just removing the old starter. The mini start (about 30-35 bucks) was worth the money just for the space it gave me.
Ryan

04 Grand Cherokee Freedom Edition

79 Ford F-250 4x4 - Restored
rwhite65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 07:21 PM   #6
Rev
Registered Member

I can get my starter in and out without any problem. I do use Tri-Y headers though, so your case may be different.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 07:36 PM   #7
okiedragster
Drag Racer and Mach1 Addict

i agree with Ryan those mini starters are really the way to go these days, back in the day we had to build heat sheilds and use blankets and all kinds of stuff to shield the stock starters from the heat from the headers. i use a mini on my race car too but its a import gear reduction job.

My 71 Mach 1
okiedragster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 07:42 PM   #8
Elvis
Registered Member

Yes, my set up is probably different because it is going to be an adventure getting the starter out of there. I decided that I didn't want to wrestle with replacing my Auto Zone starter every year or so and I ordered a mini starter from Mustangs Plus. It will be back to sleeping on the couch when my frau sees the credit card bill. Oh well - just one of the joys of having a classic - the car that is. E.