MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-05-2003, 06:34 AM   #1
KiltedBanshees93GT
Registered Member

Default Steering binding/popping

Ive noticed lately 2 major problems with my front end, and need to know what my best options are.
#1 I was driving to work the other night, and stopped at the store enroute. When we left the store, the car started pulling hard to the left, I checked the car after work, and the left front tire is noticbly canted in at the top (too much negative camber I believe?)I put a piece of wood w/ a 90degree cut next to it and the top is about 1 1/2" away from the square. right side is about 1/2-3/4" away. What did I screw up? Will a basic alignment fix it, or do I need to rebuild the front suspension?
#2 When backing up especially, and turning the steering seems to want to bind, and then pop as I stop, and start forward. Example: I stop at the store, and as I back out of the space, I feel the wheel start to tighten slightly, and then when I shift to D and turn the wheel the other way, there is a distince pop from under the hood, and it feels like the wheel loosens back up. Could this be related to the alignment problem?
I'm just wondering if I might do better to just get a poly rebuild kit for the front along w/ new tie rods etc and rebuild the whole dang thing. (I would rather not, but if the problem is bad enough to require serious suspension work, improving things while its apart seems like the best route. )
Sorry for the length of the post,

J
Rice Haters Club Member #239

"I find your lack of faith...disturbing."

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken
KiltedBanshees93GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 05:18 PM   #2
HotRoddin
cranky old man

Don't take a chance with the steering ... get it to an alignment shop and let them take a look at it !! You are after all talking about a problem with the system that allows you to control the car ! Don't wait until something snaps and you wrap it around a tree, find out if its serious or not then decide what you want to do about it.
Under Construction: 64 Falcon 372 cu in. stroker 1:72 rod ratio 6.250" rods (long rod), Comp Cams XE274 230/236 520/526 @ .050, Scorpion Rollers, Roush 200 irons, 10:1 Keith Blacks, Hedman long tubes, 750 Holley DP, Edelbrock Victor Jr., C4 3500 stall, gears and tires to be anounced.
HotRoddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 07:47 PM   #3
Rev
Registered Member

Default Ball joint?

Sounds like a bad ball joint to me. Jack the car up on the left front. Grab the tire at the bottom and at the top and forcefully try to move the top and bottom of the tire inboard and outbord at the same time. If the tire moves more than 1/8" or at most 1/4" and if the wheel bearing are adjusted correctly, then either the upper or lower ball joints are bad. If the front end has never been rebuilt, it may be a good time to do it.

With some work you can do it at home and then get it professionally alligned. Cost me about a thousandor maybe $1300 for the front suspension, steering, and rear suspension from Mustang Plus, but that was for new springs all around, sway bars front and rear,high performance shocks,etc. and doing the labor myself. Also that was a few years ago too.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote