MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-05-2001, 10:28 PM   #1
utcreed
Registered Member

Exclamation Help Me Please!!! I'm confused

I'm a girl who knows nothing about cars but i love mustangs. I want to buy one but i get confused cause there are so many types. I keep on hearning Saleen, Gt, cobra etc. My question is which is the best to get? or Where can i go to learn about Mustangs and it's parts and what they do. I want to customize it but i need to know what i'm doing! LOL Please help so i can get my dream car because i'm so clueless.

Thanks,
utcreed
utcreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 12:25 AM   #2
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Welcome fellow Texan!

There are 3 base models from Ford:
The standard V6
The GT (260 Horsepower Single Over Head Cam V8)
The Cobra (320 Horsepower Dual Over Head Cam V8)

Saleen is what we call a "tuner" company.
They purchase Mustang GTs and Cobras from Ford, give them a whole bunch of goodies, (Handling Packages, Superchargers) and sell them to the public...

Which is the best to get is determined what you want to use the car for and how much you want to spend....
If you want some street muscle to tote your groceries in while maintaining the option of adding modifications (or mods) to increase performance, the GT is a great buy at around 20-25k new...

If you want to make a statement with a little more horsepower and refinement, jump up to the Cobra starting at a little over 30k

and if you've got 40-50k to put down to annihilate any competition, a supercharged Saleen would fit the bill nicely...

As far as learning about Mustangs and parts, you've come to the right place... Just ask away!!!

Welcome aboard
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 07:21 AM   #3
SMOKE
Old School ROUSH

Thumbs up

I think Hammer hit it on the head.

What kind of performance and style are you looking for?

Is there a particular Mustang you've seen that you like?

SMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 05:07 PM   #4
99JasonGT
Registered Member

Welcome to the mustang world...those guys know what they're talking about...best bang for your buck is the GT...I have a 99, and it's really fun to drive...good pull, great looks, and a nice smooth ride (for a high performance car)....I'd recommend the GT to anybody.
99JasonGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2001, 02:16 AM   #5
utcreed
Registered Member

Default Thanks

Thank You all for replying and for being kind to me. There isn't really a specific type i'm looking for I just know i love mustangs. Thanks to you all i know how to differenciate the styles. I have a couple more questions for u all.

1.) would it be better and cheaper to get the am/fm/cd player along with the car and add on to get a good system OR just put in my own cd player system.

2.) How or what do you do to make the car Roar well. LOL I don't know any of the terms.

3) in your opinoin whats the better interior Leather or the soft stuff?

Once again Thanks I'm so excited to learn about Mustangs from U guys.
utcreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2001, 01:04 PM   #6
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

OK, answer this: Are you looking to buy new, or used? And if used, how old back are you looking to go?

Answers to your questions:
1)This is really a personal preference. It all comes down to how much power and the quality of sound you like in your system. I personally think that the MACH 460 sounds great and it has plenty of power for my taste. But then there are hard core stereo people that will tell you any factory system is junk.
Ford for '02 now has a MACH 1000 system which has 6 disc changer, 2 10" subwoofers, etc, and 1000 watts of power. Or you could choose to go with a MP3/CD system instead.
2)Its so easy to get that classic Mustang "ROAR." All you have to do is replace your exhaust system with parts from the aftermarket. Either a set of mufflers or a cat-back will do the trick, and then an H or X-pipe will really help, and all while adding power too.
The hard part is choosing what to buy because there are so many different companies selling exhaust system components right now. You can spend as little as around $240 for H-pipe and mufflers, up to $1000+ for X-pipe and cat-back (depends on brand of course.)
3)Again, what really counts here is your opinion. Get what you like, its your car.
I personally like leather. I think it feels nicer and its easier to clean and take car of, but thats just my opinion. Cloth will help to hold your butt in the seat better during hard cornering, and it weighs less, so some people like that better.
Stangnet: 2002 Mustang
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote