MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Classic Mustangs (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   stock balancer slipped? (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=46961)

ralph s 09-01-2005 09:40 PM

stock balancer slipped?

rpm heads, package etc. 11-1 comp, holley on top.
balancer has mabey 3000 miles on it. mabey. piston and head kissed, to the tune of 726.50. all is back together and getting my timing light on it is makn me scared. going off those marks it wont run. and yes ive double checked the wire. my guess is im 10-15 degrees off.
happen to anyone else? i know i rapped over 6 when she kissed but ive never spun a balancer, and i got priors for killn 302s.

affordable alternatives with good experiences?? also my rotating assemblies balanced together. please dont tell me im in for another tear down.

crane roller rockers; zero lash and a 1/4 turn???dont remember and cant find the destructions.
im really startn to think juicn stockers would be cheaper.
thanks in advance
R.

Gearhead999 09-02-2005 09:42 AM

Re: stock balancer slipped?

Sounds like balancer slipped to me. Even though you have a balanced assembly you can bolt on a new factory or aftermarket, like Pioneer. Any of the "race" balancers are up there in price.

Also, on the balancer, you should be able to have the new one balanced the same as the old one, without going through all the components again.

On the valve adjustment. Crane says 1/2 to 1 turn. You can get their info at www.Cranecams.com

ralph s 09-02-2005 04:28 PM

thanks, and i did the half turn. decided not to be lazy and looked it up. anyone use an aftermarket balancer they can recommend? im gettn a tach....

mustangII460 09-02-2005 05:07 PM

The balancer has a keyway on it. If its broke (keyway)you should be able to turn the balancer by hand. Or watch it as you bump it over to see if it acts stoopid.

If your rockers are not adjusted right, it probably won't run for shit anyway. No matter where you time it at.

ralph s 09-02-2005 09:18 PM

runs, idles fine. @30 advanced. according to the marks anyways. at far as power, im not takn er out till i get this figured. actually i feel its figured i just gotta get another balancer. anyone try "professional products" pieces? manifolds headers etc. they're all over ebay.

Gearhead999 09-03-2005 04:13 PM

The balancers usually fail at the rubber where the two sections are joined. The outer ring will slip around the inner part. Not at the keyway.

ralph s 09-04-2005 09:09 PM

new balancer on the way. this one rated to 6500

ralph s 09-11-2005 03:12 PM

bolt on pointer from npd is tops, still waiting on balancer. thats what i get for ordering over labor day.