MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Poll: Which route should I take?? Smooth yet OK handling
Poll Options
Which route should I take?? Smooth yet OK handling

Old 10-14-2002, 07:28 PM   #1
rel3rd
BarneyCar Pilot

Question Suspension ?--Bullitt, Eibach, Stock, or COMBO???

I have a situation with my newest toy, a 94 GT. I loved the way it rode with the stock springs and shocks/struts. I swapped in some Eibach Pro-Kit coil springs which lowered the car about 1-1/2 inches. Yes, it looks a lot better and handles better too, but it also rides a bit firmer. I think that the stock struts/shocks cannot control the new higher rate springs. If I hit a big dip in the road, the rear of the car bounces up and down a pretty good amount, almost like it's bottoming out, without actually bottoming out, if that makes sense. Today, I purchased a new, un-used "Bullitt" suspension, which has the coil springs, as well as a set of Ford (Tokico) non adjustable shocks and struts. I have a very minimal amount invested in both the Eibach springs, and the complete "Bullitt" suspension, so if I mixed and matched, I really am not out a lot of money at all. The problem I have is I would like my "nice" ride back, with maybe a little better than stock, handling. Another item in the equation is my back. I've missed roughly 30 weeks of work in the last 2-1/2 years and an extra firm ride is not the smartest thing for me to have. I'm at a loss as to what to do with the selection of parts that I have. I'm leaning towards using stock springs and the "Bullitt" shocks and struts....Opinions????

Cosmetically, there isn't a great deal of difference, I guess...
Here is a profile with stock everything:

and here is with the Eibachs:

Thanks, Bob
Old 10-14-2002, 11:22 PM   #2
rel3rd
BarneyCar Pilot

anyone?
rel3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 01:19 PM   #3
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

If you want the lowered look you will have to be willing to sacrifice a little in ride quality. There's really no other way around it. Try adding the Tokico struts and shocks with your Pro-Kit springs and see how that does. The Pro-Kit springs shouldn't be that bad actually. I have a friend with a set and he's running Koni red's which are adjustable, and his car doesn't feel bad at all.

A firmer strut/shock may be the answer you are looking for because lowered springs and factory struts and shocks just don't make for a good combo.

Also...
Have you driven a Bullitt? If not maybe you should to see if that's the ride you are looking for. If it feels comfortable I'd say go for it. I don't think the difference in the cars should be that much to be noticable.

Another thing to look at is are the Pro-Kit springs and the Bullitt springs progressive or specific rate springs? You can probably find this info on the web if you dig deep enough.

Specific rate springs will have a bit harsher ride because they keep the same spring rate throughout the compression of the spring. Progressive rate springs will get progressively firmer as the spring compresses, so initially it will have a smoother ride until pushed to it's limits, where it will act like a more aggressive spring.

To try and compare the springs yourself - specific rate springs will have the coils farther apart than a progressive rate spring, and progressive springs generally have coils at varying distances apart along the length of the coil (see attached image). Larger coil diameters will have a firmer ride, but being specific or progresive will determine the ride "harshness" as well.

Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: gif springs.gif (4.7 KB, 19 views)
Project: 1988 Coupe - EFI 5.8L Twin Turbo with Victor intake, Canfield heads, F303 cam, March aluminum underdrive pulleys, TKO (or T56 if funds permit), PBR twin piston calipers and 13" rotors up front, 94 Cobra rear calipers and 12" rotors on the rear, 3.73's, Griggs K-member, tubular front control arms, torque arm and panhard bar, polished 99 Cobra wheels.

"The GR-40 kit installation is now complete, and the humble Fox-chassis car will now out-corner and out-stop a ZR-1 or a Viper, and support massive horsepower additions with perfect balance."
Griggs Racing

ICQ# 42269241

Last edited by 2FastLX; 10-15-2002 at 01:24 PM..
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 07:53 PM   #4
rel3rd
BarneyCar Pilot

Actually, that is exactly what I did today. I installed the Tokico shocks and struts with the Eibach springs and all is well. It's firm, but much smoother than it was with the stock dampers. I tried just the rear Bullitt springs for the heck of it, and they were a little harsh for me. The Bullitt springs are indeed "specific rate" and IMO were just a little too firm on regular roadways for my taste. The Eibach Pro-Kit is "progressive rate", which like you said offers a smoother ride when just cruising. Evidently, my stock shocks and struts were just plain worn out because the ride now isn't bad at all, yet still seems to handle. This lowering/handling stuff is new to me....Most of my toys have always been straight line type

Thanks for the reply!