MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-24-2002, 07:00 PM   #1
MetalHead
Registered Member

Default new clutch

can anyone recommend a good clutch for the T5 transmission swap I will be doing in the near future?

Next: new tranny, T5 or Toploader
MetalHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 02:14 AM   #2
jwboner
Registered Member

Do you plan on using a t5 bellhousing? I think they require a diaphram clutch, then use King cobra, centerforce, or ram.
65 fastback 347 DFI injected w/vic jr, TFS heads, MSD, cable clutch TKO, 3.70 9", tc subframe conns, custom traction bars, griffen alum radiator, armored fuel cell, and torq thrust D's Retrofitted Prelude seats. Vintage Air underdash kit. Fiberglass here and there too
More on the way all the time.
jwboner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 02:52 AM   #3
MetalHead
Registered Member

yes i want to use a t5 bellhousing, but i read that it is possible to use the existing clutch from the original manual 3 spd that i have on there now:

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...ap/index.shtml

I don't want to use the original clutch though, because it sucks, but that means i can buy the same type of clutch. I really don't know much about them, i'm learning as i go. thanks for any info, what do you have on your car?

Old 04-26-2002, 02:36 AM   #4
jwboner
Registered Member

I am using a CF dual friction diaphram clutch. I also converted to a cable linkage and a lakewood bell. You could use the mechanical linkage with the t5 bell if you bolt in a lever fulcrum for your stock clutch lever to work on, but tou will have to use a diaphram type. Be careful and make sure that it will fit on your flywheel, there are only a few that do.
65 fastback 347 DFI injected w/vic jr, TFS heads, MSD, cable clutch TKO, 3.70 9", tc subframe conns, custom traction bars, griffen alum radiator, armored fuel cell, and torq thrust D's Retrofitted Prelude seats. Vintage Air underdash kit. Fiberglass here and there too
Old 05-01-2002, 01:49 AM   #5
NitroStanggirl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jwboner
I also converted to a cable linkage
How do you do that? Do you still use the Z-bar and can you use a quadrant somehow?

Last edited by NitroStanggirl; 05-01-2002 at 02:08 AM..
NitroStanggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002, 06:14 PM   #6
MetalHead
Registered Member

jwboner, do you like the dual friction centerforce that you have? i heard that they are pretty stiff for daily driving. and that they get even stiffer when they are broken in. this is going to be my daily driver, i was thinking maybe a centerforce II would be a better choice because my car is not heavily modified. also, do you know of a good shifter for the conversion, i'm worried about regular short throw shifters being too short for my car.

Old 05-03-2002, 06:16 PM   #7
MetalHead
Registered Member

and where did you get your cable linkage for your clutch? how much did it cost?

Old 05-04-2002, 11:41 PM   #8
jwboner
Registered Member

With the cable linkage the clutch travel is like stepping on a marshmallow, very easy. So the dual friction is easier to push than my old ram clutch with the mech linkage. I drive my car daily also and love it. Actually the cable linkage i have came from mustangsplus or find it faster at ronmorrisperformance.com and has just been discountinued for an easier version. But anyway mine uses an enclosed cable mounted to the firewall and goes to a bolt-on lever on the top of clutch pedal and goes out and down around headers and back under to the bellhousing. None of the mechnical linkage is needed(rod, z-bar, and lever adjuster, don't need a quadrant either). They now have one that doesn't require drilling a hole above your master cylinder but goes through the existing hole, but I can't see how it will work without some kind of mechnical lever. Check them out, my discontinued one is cheaper now. Oh, I use the hurst pro shifter with stops. It works alright and would prefer a pro 5.0 or a tri-ax but my tranny isn't even 6 months old and is already about to take a crap on me (or on the road that is) and really need a tko, but enough about my probs. Good luck
P.S. Nitrogirl I read about your problem on Female Power about people PM you, I can relate, I have gotten some weird ones for mine.
Old 05-05-2002, 12:33 AM   #9
72grande
Registered Member

Through my probe info source's (my other project car) I've herd nothing but bad things about the dual friction. Everything from it wearing out fast to those lil wieghts they put on it comming off and putting holes in bellhousings. Maybey thier better for the mustang apps, but from what I've herd, run dont walk away from the daul friction.
72grande is offline   Reply With Quote