MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-26-2000, 01:16 PM   #1
Shawn
Registered Member

Cool Aftermarket 4.6 Heads & Manifolds & Blocks...WHERE ARE THEY!! got any ideas?

I just have a few questions for all the modular guys out there. I'm looking into possibly going modular in the future and am wondering why there is such a lack of parts out there? Granted this is a fairly new engine, but why aren't there aftermarket heads out there...do the SVO heads really flow that well? And the same about manifolds, why doesn't somebody cast some nice aftermarket manifolds for these things? Or do they, are there websites? I just was englightened when I saw someone run a 9second pass over the weekend with a 4valve 4.6 engine...

If a company were to open selling high flow/velocity 2valve 4.6 heads do you think there would be a market?

Correspondingly would there be a market for a short runner, blower style, or exotic aftermarket manifolds?

What about aftermarket 4.6 blocks? Is there a market, or are the stock or cobra blocks that strong?

Any other ideas someone could throw in for me?

Anything would be appreciated, I really am not educated in this department and would like to hear anything you can throw down...

Thanks!
Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2000, 01:43 PM   #2
97snakedriver
Registered Member

Ford and some other after-market companies have been teasing us with proto-type heads and intakes, but so far, its all show and no go. The SVO intake/heads are the only ones currently available for the SOHC. There aren't any for the DOHC.

The SVO parts do work well, but are pretty expensive. Most people just go with the 99 GT parts, which work almost as well and are a lot cheaper.

Most hard-core DOHC people end up just modifying, porting, and regrinding the stock intake, heads, and cams. The Cobra block and crank really are that good. The rods and pistons need work. But there is a good after market supply of those.

Aftermarket heads, cams, and intakes would be nice, but really, if worked stock parts are hitting low 10s or even 9s NA... A Cobra R style air-trumpet intake manifold would be nice though.

Check out:
http://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2000, 01:47 PM   #3
97snakedriver
Registered Member

Oh yeah. Look in the "Cars For Sale" section at Sean Hyland. A NA 4.6 that has run 10.51 @ 127 for sale for $25,000.

Although, inspite the claim, I don't think that is the current "Worlds Fastest 4.6L"
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2000, 02:07 PM   #4
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

Maybe that Sean Hyland car is the fastest NA 4.6L. Joe Stewart runs low 9's and John M. has run a high 7 in his Pro car.

The stock blocks are good up to 800+ HP it's the pistons and rods that are the weak link in these motors.

------------------
00 GT, K&N, 2 chamber Flowmasters, MAC Tree Killer, Pullies, UPR shifter, Weld Pro Stars, Nitto DR’s,MM#100 13.48@99.27(1.99 60ft)
88 LX coupe X-FHP, 12pt Cage, UPR K-member, 31 spline rear, full spool, more to come
Mustang92 is offline   Reply With Quote