MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-25-2003, 12:35 PM   #1
J_E_S_B69
Registered Member

Question Supercharging decisions.......

Would a smaller engine with a centrifugal blower tweaked to produce mid 500's Horsepower be better or worse than a bigger engine with a centrifugal blower not tweaked?

Considering price, front to rear weight ratio, and having to repair more often and such.

I have a 67' mustang coupe and want to have a pretty mean street machine, but I don't know which way I should go about it. Any help would be appreciated greatly. Thanks
J_E_S_B69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 06:13 PM   #2
whiteblue302
Registered Member

Well I'm no expert on the matter, but it seems to me that trying to produce a whole lot of HP with a smaller engine is most likely going to wear it out a lot quick than a larger engine. I would imagine it would be cheaper to go with a larger engine, maybe a 351 or a 347 and have it supercharged, then to really have to soup up a smaller block. I think the rule of thumb for superchargers is roughly 10hp per 1 pound of boost. The added displacement from a larger engine would probably make up that horsepower easier than what it would take for the extra psi in a smaller one. Like I said, no expert, but that's what makes sense to me.
How small of a block were you figuring? 500hp wouldn't be too easy a number to make even from a 351 (running roughly 12psi, you would still need 380hp from the motor)
whiteblue302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 02:48 AM   #3
rwhite65
Ride Hard

Default 500 horsepower

the smaller engine is going to have to work harder to put out the same numbers as the larger displacement engine. But that is not to say that you could not get the 302 to push 500 horsepower with a supercharger of some kind....it has been done before.

But here is my question, why 500 horsepower. that is a crap load of power....and going to be a challenge gettting it all to the pavement. Is there a particular e.t time you want to be able to run, ir do you just want the engine that has an awesome dyno sheet?

With running an engine harder, you are going to have to make sure your cooling system is very good, need some great brakes to stop all that, and a good transmission and rearend to harness it all.

With a 67 you have the option of a big block. Don't get me wrong, I love building small blocks..which is all I have ever ran except for my truck (building it a 460). But if you are looking for power.....and a lot of it while not having to really build the engine......slap the big block in there, like a 460. Remember all that horsepower costs some money....but dollar for dollar, the big block is what you want if you want the big numbers and have the clearance unlike me.

Good luck with the engine that you pick...and keep me posted....would love to see what you build and how it works out for you.
Ryan

04 Grand Cherokee Freedom Edition

79 Ford F-250 4x4 - Restored
rwhite65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 12:36 PM   #4
J_E_S_B69
Registered Member

Honestly, this is my first car to ever own and hopefully the only car, so I might as well make it ****.....right?

Would a 460 fit inside the engine bay of a 67' Coupe?

And I will definetly keep you posted, thx for the info....
J_E_S_B69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 05:18 PM   #5
rwhite65
Ride Hard

Default big block

well, I know there was 390's in the 67...and I know the 68's had 428's - I am sure it would be a tight fit.....but I am 98% sure the 460 will go in there.
Hopefully somebody in here can help me out....anyone in here done it before?
Ryan

04 Grand Cherokee Freedom Edition

79 Ford F-250 4x4 - Restored
rwhite65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: