MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-11-2004, 10:39 AM   #1
66mustanger
Registered Member

Question Suspension HELP!! PLEASE!

Im now ready to install my front suspension! My question is, after I bolt on my uppers and lowers w/ spindles, Do I then bolt the tires on and sit the car down on the ground and add weight before I bolt down my strut rods/ bushings and front sway bar? I think I read something a day or to ago about someone doing this. Dont you bolt everything together and try to set your front suspension as close to spec as possible before you let the car down? Im in the dark about this and any advice would be greatly appreciated. Id hate to go a test drive and something is really screwed up and have to take some things back apart!
Thanks and God Bless!
Larry of Mason Ohio.
66mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 08:18 PM   #2
Rev
Registered Member

Default Bolt it all up

When I did mine, I just bolted it all together before I set it down. The strut rods on the '66 are not adjustable. All front end adjustment is done with shims between the unibody and the upper suspension arm and with the tie rod sleeves for the toe-in.

I would start out with the shims just like they came out. Put in about 1/16" of toe-in. you actually do have to set it down on a level surface (both front to back and side to side) to get an idea of the allignment. I use a tape measure and a level to do that.

When it looks close to what you want, take it straight to an allignment shop for a professional allighnment. Make sure it's a shop that will spend the time to do it well ( the shim adjustment takes extra time and effort) and probably more $.

I do mine myself in the driveway, bnut it's a PITA really and requires a fair amount of trial and error. It's worth the $ if you get some shop that will do it well. Good luck with the installation, and don't forget to rebuild the steerig at soime point.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 06:33 AM   #3
66mustanger
Registered Member

Default Rev!

Thanks alot Rev for the advice.

My only problem is that I now have 17" chrome bullitt wheels on the car, and I really dont want tire discounters to put anything on lmy wheels that might cause a scratch. I have a buddy that has built a custom 57 belair thats blown and he did the alignment all himself because of the same reasons. Hes been driving his for a couple of years without any problems. He said that hed help me with the alignment if needed. Wed just do it like the nascar boys do!! LOL!!!!! Thanks again. Hey what would be the number of shims to start with in toward the front and rear of the upper control arm? When I pulled them out originally, I had 5 shims in the front and 2 i think in the rear. Does this sound close? I may start there for starters and see how it ends up! Thanks!

Larry of Mason Ohio
God Bless America!!!!
66mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 09:47 PM   #4
Rev
Registered Member

Default Shims come in different thicknesses

You can do the allignment yourself with a lot of trial and error and a lot of measuring. The shims come in different thicknesses, so its not always just the number of shims,but the combined thickness that counts. You definitely want more in the front than the rear. That's what gives you the + caster. The 5-2 ratio seems about right, but you want to end up with 0 degrees of camber and about 2 1/2-3 degrees of caster and 1/16-1/8" of toe-in. Get your friend to help you and go for it.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote