MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-01-2001, 10:03 PM   #1
66 Racer
Registered Member

Question Suspension Upgrade

Hey,

I was looking through my Mustang Plus catalog and was wondering what you guys think of their Magna line of suspension components. I have been looking into their standard eye 5 leaf springs, front and rear sway bars, and their 620 springs. If you guys know of better stuff let me know what you guys use. And where i can purchase them from.

Thanks

------------------
Under Construction 66 Coupe
-289 V8 4 barrel Holley 600cfm carb - Headers - Flowmaster 2 1/2 dual exaust
66 Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2001, 11:50 AM   #2
gp001
Registered Member

66 Racer,
I have Mustangs Plus 620 front coils, and 5 leaf mid eye rear leafs as part of my suspension. They are great quality. Unless you are looking to go REALLY crazy (ie. Total Control, Griggs, Global, etc...) I think M+ has a great setup. Mine gets a real workout and handles great.

------------------
347 (Coast High short block), 279/284, TFS TW heads, Stealth, 750 Holley, Flowtech hdrs, Dr. Gas X, 2 Chmbr Flowmaster, MSD 6AL-Dist.& SS coil, March serpentine pulley system, Art Carr C-4 (Soon to be a Richmond 6 spd), Currie 9" w/3.50, alum Drv Shft, susp mods, Total Control subframes & tower braces, Trans Am Racing power dual master, 4 wheel disc, 17x8 Torqthrust II's
Something up my sleeve
In a 66 coupe
gp001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2001, 03:28 PM   #3
Fostang
Registered Member

I live 15 minutes from mustang's plus and wouldn't buy almost anything from them. Their things are totally over priced. Have you checked out canadian mustang? They have the exact same parts 5 leaf springs 620 springs much cheaper. I have stuff from them and they work excellent. I'm not saying mustang's plus doesn't sell worth while items I'm just saying that they are over priced. If you shop around and compare you'll agree with me.

------------------
67'fastback-Edelbrock carb,intake,cam,valve springs.Rhode lifters, CompCam rocker arms, windage tray,cerama coated headers,dual flows with H-pipe, modded c-4,tci stall converter,perma cool electric fan,aluminum water pump,griffen aluminum radiator,accel 8.8 cable,wide cap distriburator,magnetic pick up,v-matic hurst shifter,edelbrock performer nitrous, carter electric fuel pump,ignitor coil,solid motor mounts,magna racing suspension,poly urathane bushings,under rider traction bars, comp. eng. s
Fostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2001, 04:28 PM   #4
Rev
Registered Member

I think Fostang is right and he lives right there. Having said that, I got all my steering and suspension from Mustang Plus and am happy with what I got. I may have paid a little more, but it all works well. I use:

620's front (1/4 turn removed)
5 leafs rear (mid eye option)
All poly bushings
1 1/8" sway bar front
3/4" sway bar rear
Gabriel Strider adjustable shocks
Stock front a-frame location
everything else stock new parts for rebuild

Also, shipping costs are a consideration. I paid a lot to get this stuff from Ca. to Tx., so that's something to check into. Of course I paid no tax, another consideration.

Rev

Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2001, 11:27 PM   #5
69fastback
IRAQ VET

I didn't know they where overpriced I was thinking about buying from there. A question though i want to go with the 5 1/2 leaf springs instead of the 5 since i do have lots of power. Will it be worth it?

------------------
69 428 cobra jet: tons of mods.
97 f-150 5.4 xlt mark III
BUCKLE UP. SUCK IT IN.
Objects in the mirror are about to disappear...
QUICKLY!!!!!!

69fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2001, 01:32 PM   #6
jwboner
Registered Member

I have the stadrard 5 eye rear springs and it left the back end a little too high for me.
-----quote-----A question though i want to go with the 5 1/2 leaf springs instead of the 5 since i do have lots of power. Will it be worth it?----I don't remember how much more they are but I don't think it will help you out as much as a good pair of trac bars. Mustangs Plus probably is over-priced, because they are innovative and have many parts that no one else has, they advertise so much that people forget about their competitors. But you pay for all their innovations and advertising, and also they are always out of stock on everything. I bought some racing tubular tie rod ends and it took almost 6 months to get it, alum radiator took almost 2 months.

------------------
65 fastback
347 DFI injected, TFS heads, T5, 4.11 9", tc subframe conns, torq thrust D's
A little history lesson using today's tech.
jwboner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2001, 02:13 PM   #7
Rev
Registered Member

69fastback, with that 428, be sure you get good enough front coils. You're gonna need stiff ones for that big FE if want any handling. Just a thought.

Rev

------------------
'66 Coupe, 306, 300 HP, C-4, 13.97 e.t., 100.3 mph
1/4 mi.

[This message has been edited by Rev (edited 08-03-2001).]
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2001, 05:46 PM   #8
Fostang
Registered Member

Can't forget about sub-frame connectors. I just put them on my car and haven't had a chance to drive it on the street but it does seem way more solid. I'll keep everyone posted on how they feel. Once I finish the rest of this long project. Steering system rebuild, another set of ported heads,

------------------
67'fastback-Edelbrock carb,intake,cam,valve springs.Rhode lifters, CompCam rocker arms, windage tray,cerama coated headers,dual flows with H-pipe, modded c-4,tci stall converter,perma cool electric fan,aluminum water pump,griffen aluminum radiator,accel 8.8 cable,wide cap distriburator,magnetic pick up,v-matic hurst shifter,edelbrock performer nitrous, carter electric fuel pump,ignitor coil,solid motor mounts,magna racing suspension,poly urathane bushings,under rider traction bars, comp. eng. s
Fostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2001, 05:57 AM   #9
69fastback
IRAQ VET

Rev I run moroso front drag springs. They are specific for a 428. Handling is not an issue with me. The car is not a dail driver by no means. 4 miles to the gallon kinda is hard on the ole wallet. I have the orginal leaf spings in the back and they really suck. I do have southside lift bars on there. I just figure the 5 1/5 would help out more in traction and make the car stiffer. I have the sub frames all ready.

------------------
69 428 cobra jet: tons of mods.
97 f-150 5.4 xlt mark III
BUCKLE UP. SUCK IT IN.
Objects in the mirror are about to disappear...
QUICKLY!!!!!!

69fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2001, 01:02 AM   #10
66 Racer
Registered Member

Well, if you think Mustangs Plus is overpriced, check out california Mustang. Some of their items are like $10-20 more than other places. I live about 10mins from them and only buy from them because they are the only place i know of out here, i have heard of this othert Mustang place that sells a lot of mods for em, but the people that have told me about it arnt sure how to get there, or of the exact name of the place. Oh, and Cali mustang doesnt even sell any aftermarket parts, although they do have a good inventory of original parts.

After taking my car to a shop for a new clutch, a centerforce i believe the unit was called the dual force clutch, i noticed my steering needs some GREAT attention, Im planning on going to M+ for them. With the suspension, the more i look at it in the M+ Cat., the more i want to get the Total control suspension components, they look like solid parts, way stronger than stock parts, the uppper control arms look like they are out of my league, $650 for something that will be a small increase in the suspension is out of the ball park, i rather put that torwards edel heads. Not that i wouldnt put them in later on. I might go with the M+ parts for now and put the total ones later on, my car is in the ealry stages of my restoration, it needs a lot of attention in different areas, although it runs solid, performance is midpoint. ESPECIALLY with the stock 3spd man tranny!

Their 5leaf performance L springs look good, but would it be over kill on a 66 289 coupe? or would the 4 1/2 be right for my application, i planning to go with them in the standard eye position, i want to give the car an aggressive look that only muscle cars can have, with the 620 coils in front. I also want enough clearance in the back for some big meats as soon as i can come up with cash for the rims and tires.

Im building this car up to be king of the road, something that all crappy rice rockets will fear, not that already dont, heh heh.

Also guys, are there any all out well known suspension companies that do everything for the mustang including springs. I have only seen parts for global and total out of the M+ catalog, and most other cats i have dont even have anything near these companies.

Thanks guys
Happy Racing

------------------
Under Construction 66 Coupe
-289 V8 4 barrel Holley 600cfm carb - Headers - Flowmaster 2 1/2 dual exaust
66 Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2001, 12:16 AM   #11
macx
Registered Member

I used canadian mustang's complete heavy rate 1" lowered spring setup & Midolyne bushings on my 70, though it's no racer. The rears are mid-eye. They are reasonable and are very good to deal with. They ship out of Seattle so no border tarriff hassles.
macx is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: