MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-02-2006, 10:23 AM   #1
Devine65GT
Registered Member

Default suspention problem

im haveing a problem with my suspention at 70mph im getting a bad vibration the whole car shakes anyone have any ideas what may be causeing this. i have tried balanceing and rotateing the tires. the rims are not bent. the tires are good.
thanks for the help
matt
Old 10-02-2006, 01:58 PM   #2
bmxmon
Registered Member

Default Re: suspention problem

Does it matter what gear your in? Have you had the alignment checked out?
Old 10-02-2006, 02:38 PM   #3
Devine65GT
Registered Member

no it dosent matter. i just did the alignment a couple months ago. its damn close to dead on.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:01 PM   #4
stanger66
dreaming about mustangs

I would take it in and have someone shake down the suspension. It sounds like maybe ball joints, wheel bearings, tie rods (1 of them) are bad. That can cause vibration at high speeds. If that checks out have someone check the driveshaft that also could be the problem. You might want to recheck the alignment. I would probably have someone check rotors/drums to see if they are warped/or bent. That could cause vibration at high speeds. I see this problem with cars just about everyday. I work at Merchants/NTB/BigOTires/Tire Kingdom as a Store Manager and customers always think its the tires/or rims. Not there suspension.

06 Saleen S281SC Convertible 6spd
04 Freestar(wife)
66 mustang w/orig. Carroll Shelby racing 7 spoke 14X7's aluminum
02 pontiac sunfire 2.2 ecotec(great gas mileage) still GM junk
stanger66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 01:41 AM   #5
bmxmon
Registered Member

This is off topic, but judging by our avatars there are too many red mustangs, haha. Stanger66, you have some really good ideas.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:28 PM   #6
DeltaMustang65
Knuckle-Basher

ignore

Mine isn't red, it's prairie bronze. I thought of putting a picture up as my avatar, but everyone seems to do that and I like being different.

This got me thinking...wouldn't it be odd if we recognized someone on here by their CAR ONLY if we saw them on the street?

/ignore

http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w277/deltamustang65/

If Nissan Motorsports = NISMO, wouldn't Honda Motorsports = HOMO?
DeltaMustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 07:02 PM   #7
Devine65GT
Registered Member

ok guys i checked everything today found a wheel bearing on the driver side were a little loose so i replaced them. i drove it seems better but ill have to wait till i drive it a few miles first. just a quick update thanks for the help
Old 10-03-2006, 08:57 PM   #8
stanger66
dreaming about mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxmon
This is off topic, but judging by our avatars there are too many red mustangs, haha. Stanger66, you have some really good ideas.
Hey bmxmon,

Mine is only red for now. I going candy apple blue w/silver stripes by the end of restoration. I hate red to common of color for the mustangs. I may paint it bright yellow w/silver strips and on either paint job I might put ghost stripes on it.

ross

04 Freestar(wife)
Old 10-03-2006, 11:14 PM   #9
Devine65GT
Registered Member

The paint on my car has been on it for 20 years, i been thinking about repainting but im scared to see whats underneath it, lol nah its in pretty good shape. i was thinking about going back to orignal wimbledon white and loosing the vinyl top. the inside is still orignal except for the a/c.
matt
Old 10-03-2006, 11:36 PM   #10
bmxmon
Registered Member

Devine65GT, white is an extremely nice color on cars i think, plus it makes the bodywork alot easier. Stanger66, i think either color combo would look very sweet. Did you see that mustang that Boyd Coddington built? That was a yellow with silver striped car, very sweet looking. DeltaMustang65, i agree. That would probably be how it'd turn out, followed by "thats who i've been taking advice from?!" I also have been thinking about getting away from the red, when i get around to painting it. (the next year or two) I was going to do a two tone, black/sliver with a red pin stripe inbetween, but not so sure anymore. I'll add a photoshopped pic that i did of my car. Sorry for jackin this thread!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photoshopped1A.JPG (361.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 10-04-2006, 08:19 PM   #11
Rev
Registered Member

I bought mine red in 1968 and after 3 or 4 paint jobs it's gonna stay that way,LOL.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 02:09 PM   #12
bmxmon
Registered Member

Did you get rid of your bad vibrations?
Old 10-05-2006, 03:07 PM   #13
stanger66
dreaming about mustangs

was the wheel bearings causing the virbrations, I just knew it was something with the wheel bearing because I have the same problem with mine but I cant work on mine until I get my cast off my right arm I just had my ligaments repaired in my elbow. Its going to be at least 3 months or so before I can work on my car. I ready to cut my arm so I dont have to go through the pain. I'm sick of typing with one hand it sucks.
Anyway, I hope the wheel bearings took care on your problem?
If you have anymore problems check those other things I mentioned!

ross

04 Freestar(wife)
Old 10-05-2006, 03:13 PM   #14
stanger66
dreaming about mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxmon
Devine65GT, white is an extremely nice color on cars i think, plus it makes the bodywork alot easier. Stanger66, i think either color combo would look very sweet. Did you see that mustang that Boyd Coddington built? That was a yellow with silver striped car, very sweet looking. DeltaMustang65, i agree. That would probably be how it'd turn out, followed by "thats who i've been taking advice from?!" I also have been thinking about getting away from the red, when i get around to painting it. (the next year or two) I was going to do a two tone, black/sliver with a red pin stripe inbetween, but not so sure anymore. I'll add a photoshopped pic that i did of my car. Sorry for jackin this thread!
I got the candy apple blue from the show American Hot Rod Budweiser car that Boyd did. That c/a blue I've seen it on one other car and it looked sweet!!! It was on a '49 merc. that comes to one of my car shows I go to. The silver strips are going to match the interior on the car and its going to be a lite silver stripes.. The interior is going to be lite gray cloth interior and roll bar is going to match interior.

04 Freestar(wife)
Old 10-06-2006, 12:10 AM   #15
bmxmon
Registered Member

Sounds sweet. My plan is to keep the interior black except for putting in grey centers in the seats, and probably some grey on the door panels. (im thinking tweed, not sure yet though) The mustang you have as your avatar is a sweet looking drawing, I know though that my bodywork couldnt pull off black. (at least i dont think it could) Boyd definately uses some really sharp colors on alot of his cars. Are you doing any body mods? Im planning on "shaving" the radio antenna and all the emblems, pretty much everything except the door handles/locks. Im also planning on the C/S spoiler on the back, probably a front valence much like the one in your avatar, though with bumper.
Old 10-07-2006, 12:38 AM   #16
stanger66
dreaming about mustangs

The body in my avaitor is only about $3300 at mustang depot.com and yes I'm going to do most of the body work myself except hanging the 2 quarters panels not that great of a welder. but all the fiberglass work I'm going to do myself. I learned to do fiberglass work when I was in college years ago, Im shaving my door handles,locks,antenna,trunk lock, and put in door and trunk pops in with my alarm w/remote start. That kit comes with like 6 different hoods I'm doing the 67' shelby hood which they made fit the 66. you should take a look at the kit at http://www.mustangdepot.com/OnLineCa...erglass/e2.htm it basically the eleanor kit for the coupe. The stereo I'm putting in it your not going to see it. The head unit is going to be in glove compartment and I'm going to have about 10 speakers in it and your only going to see mybe 2 of them in the kick panels and then Im going to have either 2 10's or 12's in the trunk that are going to be hidden with 3 or 4 amps with it. My sunfire is the sort of the same way with the speaker and amp set up but you can 6 of the speakers and 10 hidden and 2 12's in the trunk with 6 amps. The wheels are going to be 17X7 front 17x10 rear torque thrust II's with c/a blue centers. The rear bumper will be fiberglass painted to match car with no front bumper and bullet gas cap and tail light covers with seq. led tail lights. I haven't decided if I'm going to put tint on the windows or not. I know I planned on doing side exhaust on mine if I can get it to work with 3" exhaust setup. I also going to put the rear louvers on the rear window. That some of the things with the exterior and stereo setup but there is about $40 to $50,000 dollars of other extras I want to do to it that would take for ever to mention.

04 Freestar(wife)
Old 10-07-2006, 02:10 PM   #17
bmxmon
Registered Member

haha, yeah, i know what you mean on that. I'll check it out. As me me with fiberglass parts im planning on just the c/s spoiler, front valance and cowl induction hood. I've always been skeptical of door popper things, dont you have to put some sort of manual door opener just in case the electric ones fail? I also was actually thinking of putting some tunes in my mustang, but probably not to the extent your going. I am planning to do two 10's and then probably only four regular speakers, hidden deck like yours, either in the glove box or trunk. I already have my wheels on that im going to stick with, 17" mach 1's. Right now I have side exhaust, but once i get a 5 speed in there i will be running it all the way back, just too noisey. (the short glass packs probably dont help...) I say tint the windows, cars always look cooler with blacked out windows.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:22 PM   #18
stanger66
dreaming about mustangs

yeah the you have to put manual door pops in most people put them under the car under the doors. but Im probably going to stick them in the wheel wells or in the trunk and one pop for the trunk. With the exhaust I'm probably going to go as loud as I can.Loud and noisy doesnt both me at all. Plus I have the stereo to drown it out if driving long distances. The only problem I will have is cops hounding me for the noise. Sorry rwhite65/mustangII460 nothing against you guys.

04 Freestar(wife)
Old 10-08-2006, 01:40 PM   #19
rwhite65
Ride Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger66
yeah the you have to put manual door pops in most people put them under the car under the doors. but Im probably going to stick them in the wheel wells or in the trunk and one pop for the trunk. With the exhaust I'm probably going to go as loud as I can.Loud and noisy doesnt both me at all. Plus I have the stereo to drown it out if driving long distances. The only problem I will have is cops hounding me for the noise. Sorry rwhite65/mustangII460 nothing against you guys.

No offense taken. A loud stang is ok in my book.
Ryan

04 Grand Cherokee Freedom Edition

79 Ford F-250 4x4 - Restored
rwhite65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 05:35 PM   #20
stanger66
dreaming about mustangs

youre the kind of cop I like

04 Freestar(wife)