MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-25-1999, 11:35 PM   #1
Jim D
Registered Member

Default T-5 SWAP Vintage flywheel balance

I recently installed a BORG T-5 in my 65 which has a 68 302.The problem I ran into was that the new bell housing did not fit over the old flywheel. So I purchased a flywheel,pressure plate and clucth of a 89 LX which the transmission can from. The next problem was that the new flywheel is balanced havier.The old 68 has a 28 oz,where the new 89 has a 50 oz unbalance.I called a speed shop and they solved my delima.I had to match the new one to the old one.The procedure is to bolt both flywheels together ,mark a tooth on each one and then rotate one 180 degrees and both them together using a different set of holes and balance them together to zero unbalance.This procedure removes the weight from the havier flywheel and matches the old one.Give me a call if you need help with a swap.This really worked well,and the engine runs very smooth.

------------------
Jim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-1999, 01:45 AM   #2
66fastback
Registered Member

That's a very interesting technique. I had a 157 tooth flywheel on my 289, so the late model bellhousing fit without a problem, but the new flywheel means it is very simple to use the new clutch/pressure plates. Good job.
66fastback is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: