MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-25-2009, 08:30 AM   #1
shark7000
Registered Member

Default t5 to my 67 w/289

I keep reading about needing a different yoke for the t5 swap, because the splines are different. Can I just use the yoke that came with the t5? How about the drive shaft from the 88 that the t5 came out of? (will come out of) I have an 88 convertable that some idiot crashed into when it was parked in front of the house on the street. I now have this 67 coupe (bought with the insurance money) with a sloppy, worn out 4 speed. I know I need the adapter plate, but will the yoke not fit that came with it? I beleive, from what I've read, my 88 clutch won't work on the 67. Shame, I like the clutch on the 88. It's as smooth as a Mercedes Benz clutch. I just had the t5 rebuilt, and about 2 weeks later, the car is totaled.
shark7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:10 AM   #2
bmxmon
Registered Member

Default Re: t5 to my 67 w/289

If I were you I would advoid the adapter plate and just use the entire trans/bellhousing from the 88'. Get a clutch cable kit, many of the mustang shops sell them. I believe it is possible to use the clutch but you would have to get a different flywheel. (Balanced to the motor)
Use the yoke that came with the T5, then have your original driveshaft shortened. The driveshaft that the Fox's use have a different connection (for some reason I cant recall what it is called) at the rearend.
You know, you could just swap the entire 5.0/t5 setup into your 67', that way you would get efi, a serpentine belt system and a roller cam.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:23 PM   #3
shark7000
Registered Member

I started this yesterday, and then I got busy. I finally got to finish it today. lol

I was thinking the 88 bell housing should fit. I heard that just about
everything for the 5.0 and 289 are interchangeable. The 5.0/T5 complete swap did cross my mind. But if I ever tried to sell it, it would be worth more with the 289. The 4 speed is already a mod from the original 3 speed. So the T5 upgrade doesn't matter for originality. I will still keep the 4 speed, may have it rebuilt some time down the road. If I have to mod the drive shaft, I was thinking of doing the 88 drive shaft, since that car it crunched. My main question is, since I have the whole drivetrain from the 88, what is the shortest shortcut I can do to drop the T5 in this 67? You have given me most of the answer already. Thank you.

Last edited by shark7000; 03-27-2009 at 08:46 PM..
Old 03-28-2009, 03:32 AM   #4
shark7000
Registered Member

Now that I think of it, maybe I should just swap the whole setup over and keep the 289 packed away until I decide to swap it back for any reason. After all, the 289 is missing on one cylinder. When I got it, one rocker was tapping. All I did was take the valve cover off and find the noisy one, and just tighten it about 1/4 turn, and it was quiet. Maybe just one of them is too tight and just needs a 1/4 turn looser? I plan on checking this out as soon as I can. One year old daughter tends to put many plans on hold. Can't watch her and work on things at the same time.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:28 AM   #5
66fastback
Registered Member

as far as the T5 install goes, use the late model bell housing and convert to a cable clutch. When I originally installed mine I modified the late model bell housing to use the stock style clutch pieces (which had 30+ years of wear and tear on them). It worked, but I was never happy with the clutch. I finally swapped over to a cable clutch and it was one of the best things I ever did to my 66. Smooth and reliable.

As far as the engine/tranny swap. If you really have a dead cylinder on the 289 (read from another post), then you should probably just pull the 289 and store it and swap in the 5.0. Yes there are parts to purchase and it is not a slam dunk, but it is a very easy swap that will net you more power and possibly mileage. Just bolt on your carb, intake and exhaust and go.

Oh yeah, the drive shaft from the 88 will be way too short, but the Yoke will work on the old driveshaft (which MIGHT have to be shortened, I would put it in and check the clearance before I sent it out to be cut.....mine had to be cut about an inch.)
Old 07-05-2009, 06:34 AM   #6
shark7000
Registered Member

That gives me some good info. I hadn't read anywhere that the newer yolk would fit the old drive shaft until now. I'm glad I don't have to buy a special one. For now, the four speed is stuck in 1st, or 2nd, and Rev. I don't know how that happened. The guy that was doing some body work parked it in the driveway, and when I went to move it, it would not go out of gear. I tried and tried and somehow got it to go to Rev. but now it just goes nowhere and smokes the clutch if I try. But this project has been put on hold since my son got his graduation gift, 87 Supra, that I have been doing the body work my self, and other repairs, getting it read for paint, so he can drive it. If body work was my thing, I could have been done a long time ago. This is something I am now learning to do. Once that's done, I'll be back to working on the Mustang.
As for the other post about the missing cylinder, the raw fuel smell from the exhaust makes me feel sick when driving in town. On the high way, there is enough air flowing to not bother me. It doesn't smoke, so I really think it's the valves. I haven't done the compression check yet. I've been too busy with other things for now. I need to make a new push button to make it easier to. I lost my old one.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:43 AM   #7
66fastback
Registered Member

As far as the Yoke/driveshaft goes, they ALL can go together. There are only a few different U-joint sizes used, most of the V8 Fords are either 1310 or 1330. Ford changed the way the rear bolts to the driveshaft, but that too is simple and of no concern for your project.