MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-20-2007, 12:20 PM   #1
MikeB4
Registered Member

Default T5 or T56 tranny for the 69 302 V8 (orginaly automatic)

Do I need any modyfications while installing a T5 or T56 to an automatic 302 from 1969 - with a kit of flyingwheel and cluch + C4 manual. The 4 speed is not enough for me .... would the cluch fit from C4 to T5 or do I need a new one ??

Are there any changes with the driveshaft ??

Do you know anyone (worshop or private person) sell such ones ?? And will they/he ship it outside the US ?
MikeB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 04:55 AM   #2
bmxmon
Registered Member

Default Re: T5 or T56 tranny for the 69 302 V8 (orginaly automatic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB4 View Post
Do I need any modyfications while installing a T5 or T56 to an automatic 302 from 1969 - with a kit of flyingwheel and cluch + C4 manual. The 4 speed is not enough for me .... would the cluch fit from C4 to T5 or do I need a new one ??

Are there any changes with the driveshaft ??

Do you know anyone (worshop or private person) sell such ones ?? And will they/he ship it outside the US ?
Yes you will. The t5 is pretty much a bolt in, while im not as sure on the t56. The t56 is stronger, but cost more. If you have the skills to modify and the money go for the t56 (or you could get a built t5). For the T5 you will need a new bellhousing, yoke, clutch, clutch cable, transmission crossmember, clutch fork, and trans mount. You could use a stock bellhousing and the linkage, but if your switching over from an auto its not worth it.
The c4 is an automatic transmission, it doesnt have a flywheel or clutch, automatics use a flexplate and torque converter.
Yes, you will have to get the driveshaft shortened. From what i've found is nobody sells a direct bolt in driveshaft for the t5 swap into early mustangs. You should bealbe to find a shop that can shorten and balance your old driveshaft.
Here is a good article to check out: T5 Swap, T5 Conversion, Mustang T5 Swap, Auto to Manual Transmission -FordMuscle.com
Good luck!
Old 12-21-2007, 04:56 AM   #3
bmxmon
Registered Member

Also, Welcome! Post some pics of your car, first classic mustang I've heard of in Poland!
Old 12-21-2007, 08:30 PM   #4
MikeB4
Registered Member

I have a 4 speed manual to this 302 (no more automatic - as it was from factory) ... but it has only 4 speed (I wrongfully called it C4) -

somebody bought a new 4 speed transmission + flywheel (Hays) + cluch (also Hays) + bellhousing + starter + driveshaft ... then I bought all that with my engine ;-)

In my Stang from factory there was an I6 200 cu in. with 3 speed manual , now there's gone be a 302 v8 (quite modyfied) + also manual transmission (I was thinking about 5 speed minimum)....

So now I know I must do a lot of mods to do that .... probably I will use this one as it is ----- and for my another project (a 1971 Mercury Capri) I will use a foxbody 302 EFi + T5 manual ... much easier ..

Here's my Stang
It was originaly Highland Green with black interior, 4 drums, no extras, hood with turn lights ;-)

In Poland there are some old Stangs till 73 (about 300-500) mainly imported from USA in last 3-6 years.
MikeB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 01:58 PM   #5
bmxmon
Registered Member

Ok I got ya. If you want to keep the stock linkage and reuse as much as possible and still use the t5, they make adapter plates that go inbetween your transmission and bellhousing which allows you to use all the other stock stuff. You would still need the trans crossmember, yoke, and to get your driveshaft shortened.
Mustangs Plus*::*EFI & T-5 Conversions*::*T-5 Bell Housing Spacer/Adapters*::*1965-70 6-Bolt Bell Housing Adapter