MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-08-2002, 02:14 PM   #1
tfish
Registered Member

Default TCI Street Fighter Tranny

Anyone have a TCI Street Fighter tranny in their car. My son and I "tried" to rebuild his C4 with no luck..(atleast we tried)..it's a 67 with a 289 (being built up slowly) Daily driver.
Tony and AJ
tfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 03:48 AM   #2
69fastback
IRAQ VET

I use a couple of TCI componets have found them to be a good company. I am happy with their products. I use a torque converter and manule shift valvebody from them and they work great.
69fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 12:21 AM   #3
Frankenstang65
Registered Member

My friend put a TCI street fighter in his 66 coupe and had some problems with it. It lasted just a little over a year of pretty easy driving (not constant racing or anything like that). Becuase the warrantee period had expired (by under a month) TCI refused to do anything about it...and this is for a tranny that is supposed to be "street/strip" and rated to something like 450hp. My friends car has no where near that...so there shouldnt have been a problem. Also, when he got the tranny out they found that the converter, which had been purchased at the same time, was already worn out...so he was forced to replace that as well. He swears never to buy another TCI product again.

Another friend had one in his Chevelle for a while...and it didn't last more than a year before it was toast...he sent it back.

I've never delt with them personally, and I'm sure they do have many satified customers, but I just thought I'd let you know what I've heard.

Hope it helps
1965 Coupe: 351W, comp cam, Aluminum Systemax II heads (2.02/1.60), 1.7 Cobra full roller rockers, Edelbrock intake, Holley 650 double pumper, Mallory Unilite, MSD-6AL, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD heli-core plug wires, Hedman headers, 2 1/2" exhaust (GT style) w/ 40 series delta flows, 69 C4 w/ shift kit, shelby traction bars, 3.55:1 rear

Daily Driver:
1989 GT- 5spd, K&N (no silencer), Shorty Headers, King Cobra Clutch, Flowmaster Force II Cat-back
Frankenstang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 08:00 PM   #4
Rev
Registered Member

Default Converter

I'm using their stall converter (2500 RPM) and it's been good for more than a year. It stalls right about 2550 where it's supposed to.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 04:27 PM   #5
DRASTiK
Registered Member

I put a street fighter C-4 in my 69 a while back, and had nothing but problems with it. They sent it to me with a bad valve body in it, and they sent a torque converter that was stamped with the right part number, but it was the wrong one. After getting those two things replaced (meanwhile my car was down for almost a month waiting for them), the tranny ran okay for about 6 months before it started clunking into gears. Then it gave out completely just after a year (which is how long the warranty was), so I was then SOL. Once I got the correct converter, I had no problems with it (meaning converter only). But the tranny was a P.O.S. Supposedly all of their trannys are dyno tested before leaving the factory, yeah, horse crap.
DRASTiK is offline   Reply With Quote