MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-25-2000, 10:56 AM   #1
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool Thinking about getting a classic...need help

I don't know much about the older stangs so I figured I come to ya'll. I like the fastbacks and as well as the front end on the 67, dual headlights, such as the shelby GT 500. Basically what I want is one that looks like the shelby GT350 or GT500. Are the Shelby's the only ones that had the dual headlights? Dual headlights, scoop/ram air hood, fast back. I have been considering a coupe as well but I specifically want the dual headlights and hood. I'm mainly looking for a project car with either a 289 V8 or no engine in which thinking about dropping in a fuel injected 5.0. I'm not trying to make one all original. I just love those particular styles and I'll do the rest, engine and all, as it comes. Mainly will be show type car. May or maynot see track time (probably will ). Just driver/show car.
Are there any places to get a good project type stang? It's probably going to be a little while till I get into this, but I'm trying to figure out everything about these older stangs that I can, now. Recommend any good informative web sites?

------------------
FOR SALE: 1996 Mustang GTS: 5-speed, K&N, removed air silencer, 3.73s, turndowns after stock H-pipe (no mufflers), 16 inch Mustang GT wheels; 46,400 miles. $11,500
95GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2000, 05:59 PM   #2
red
Registered Member

Wink

Tom Schmidt's web site has links to all the classic mustang sites. Take a look at it when you have a few hours to kill.

-JON
red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2000, 06:00 PM   #3
69fastback
IRAQ VET

the only older mustangs that actually have dual headlights are the 69's. There other lights that u are talking about are actually fog lights not headlights. If u really just want a porject car find the most basic mustang u can in what ever year u decied and then u can trun it into what ever ur heart desires.

------------------
69 428 cobra jet:bored .030, forged aluminum pistons, C & A rings, Engle cam, Edelbrock intake, 750 cmf carb, Hooker headers, March pullies, all ignition componets MSD, Holley 7psi fuel pump, Art Carr C-6, TCI torque converter, 4:30 gears, H pipe, subframe connectors, lift bars.

I aso have a stock 96 GT.
69fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2000, 09:24 AM   #4
Stefan
Registered Member

Thumbs up

If you want to keep your options open, there is a 65 fastback for sale here in Manhattan (not too far from Carthage). It was originally a 3 speed I6 but now has auto and a 289 2V. It is rough but straight. A good project car. If you are ever in the area you might want to check it out.
(I am not selling the car - it is just one I know if here in town)
Stefan

------------------
66 Standard coupe
200 inline 6 - Pertronix ignition, Flamethrower Coil, K&N, Clifford Perf. 6 into 2 headers, Holley carb, three row radiator, Firestone Firehawk 215/60R14's

96 GT Convertible
Bosch Platinum +4 plugs, B&M Ripper, Borla Side exhaust,
K&N, removed air silencer, Tokico struts/ shocks
Next up: 3:73's, high flow H-Pipe
www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/moi-display.cgi?258
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2000, 09:50 AM   #5
95GTS
Git jiggy

Question

So you are saying that the big round lights in the grill are actually fog lights? Sweet. Such as, I think it was a 70 Mach I or Boss 302 (I was just looking at them last night, dangit and I can't remember), and like the shelby's there are just two headlights and then the two in the grill, round lights, are foglights. I'm just trying to get it all straightened out. 69fastback: that's exactly what I want to do. Thanks for the info everyone. What front end grille has to be used to be able to use the fog lights like that? (I need to find one and look at it up close, in person, I reckon) There aren't very many old stangs around here so I'm having a lot of trouble getting this figured out.

------------------
FOR SALE: 1996 Mustang GTS: 5-speed, K&N, removed air silencer, 3.73s, turndowns after stock H-pipe (no mufflers), 16 inch Mustang GT wheels; 46,400 miles. $11,500

[This message has been edited by 96GTS (edited 09-26-2000).]
95GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2000, 02:49 PM   #6
69fastback
IRAQ VET

96GTS Yes u have it correct. The extra set of lights that u see on the shelbys and such in the grils are the fog lights. So if u want the dual headlights get a 69 make sure it is not a mach 1 though because they are to valuable to restomod.

------------------
69 428 cobra jet:bored .030, forged aluminum pistons, C & A rings, Engle cam, Edelbrock intake, 750 cmf carb, Hooker headers, March pullies, all ignition componets MSD, Holley 7psi fuel pump, Art Carr C-6, TCI torque converter, 4:30 gears, H pipe, subframe connectors, lift bars.

I aso have a stock 96 GT.
69fastback is offline   Reply With Quote