View Single Post
Old 02-14-2006, 08:15 PM   #2
zgreatwhite
Registered Member

Default Re: throttle hesetation

There are several areas to check. I suggest the easy areas first, as they don't cost any money, though they are time consuming...and usually not the cause of this problem.

First, would be to check your distributor advance. You need a timing light, and a golf tee. As a quick check, when the engine is off, remove the vacuum at the distributor and plug the hose with the golf tee. Start the motor and check the timing. Increase the RPM and see if the timing mark has moved. If it doesn't, your mechanical advance in the distributor is broke. Otherwise it is "probably" ok.

Next, put the vacuum to the distributor and see if the timing has moved. Hopefully it has, and then you know your vacuum advance is "probably" ok. (I say probably, because there is a timing advance curve for both the mechanical/rpm and vacuum advance mechanisms. I am sure there is a discussion here somewhere concerning how to more accurately measure this).

If the above check OK, chances are you need to modify the carburetor, which according to the Edelbrock propaganda is easy to do. I suspect this is the case as a 650 CFM carburetor on a 289 is way more then you probably need, so I suspect a RICH ACCELERATOR PUMP is causing the stall..that is too much fuel for the small amount of air your motor is pulling.

In any case, you will probably need to buy an Edelbrock kit, and change out a few items to get the proper fuel settings. Goto the Edelbrock web site, and you can probably order the parts from Summit.

In all honesty, they should include the kit with the carb. As I recall, the propaganda states "TUNED TO YOUR ENGINE", but I don't understand how any aftermarket bought off the shelf can be tuned for a 289, 302, 351, etc. not to mention the different cams.

Good luck.