MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-13-2005, 05:10 PM   #1
MustangGumby
Registered Member

Default Please Help Me Find This Car's Value

Below is a link to an auction that ended on E-bay. It didnt hit the reserve, I need to know what to offer the owner of this car. The 2 rust spots can be fixed by my Dad who does excellent work. I am not too terribly interested in turning this into a showcar in the near future, I would like to fix the rust and get the engine running smooth. Like I stated before I just have to pay for the parts when it comes to the body work and I can do some of the engine work myself since it was a running and driving car before.

The lady is selling it cause of a divorse, she bought it and drove it home from Vermont 3 years ago and never had the chance to fix it up. I am not interested in raw horsepower but a crusier and a daily driver.

The reason why I need help finding the price is because my family always had Chevy's so we dont know much about Mustang value. Here is the link, please reply on here or email me directly Gumbyrmw@aol.com

Ebay link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6236
MustangGumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 05:56 PM   #2
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

Default Re: Please Help Me Find This Car's Value

I wouldn't offer more than $2000 at the most. A 1966 Mustang with that much rust you can see is hiding lots you can't see. The cost of repairs is just as high for a 6 cyl Automatic 1966 as it is for a K-Code 289 Hi Performance GT, but the end value is much lower. At most, fully restored this car would probably be worth around $5000 to $7500, and that is an estimate. The V8 cars are more desirable and easier to sell.

I bought an overpriced 65 with a bent front fender, and since I had a 66 project car I thought it was a quick fix. Come to find out, it had 5 coats of paint and lots of very bad bodywork underneath the last 4 paintjobs. I ended up having to replace both front fenders, the hood, both quarters, and a lot of patch welding in the rocker panels and in the wheelwells. In addition, I had to rebuild the motor, so I have more in it than I can get out of it, and it is not finished yet.

I sold my 66 project car, simply because I couldnt afford to finish 2 of them, and although it was a better car, I had very little invested. Take it from someone who has been there, done that.

1997 Mustang GT Convertible, 4.6L Auto, Autumn Orange w/Saddle Tan Top & Leather Interior, Styling Bar, 17 X 9 Polished Cobra R's on Nitto NT 555's, Ford Racing Bullitt Suspension package, Mac CAI, Steeda UDP's, Flowmaster 40 Series Catback, SCT X-Calibrator II, Zaino Shine, 7 time Show Winner, driven daily
Orange97GTVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 07:31 PM   #3
Gearhead999
Registered Member

I'd run away from it and find something that doesn't have the rust problem. And is more saleable.

Dave
1968 Cougar
2004 Thunderbird
2007 F150 Harley-Davidson, SuperCrew
1986 LTD
1997 Ranger
1992 Honda Civic
Gearhead999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 08:34 PM   #4
zeppi
66 fastback

Warning .... I bought what looked like a good 66 fastback gt 350 clone from e-bay long story short i have to change the motor repace one rear fraim rail fix one front frame rail, and that is what I can see I didn't drive it yet ...... you can hide alot when selling one e-bay I say BUY LOCAL IF YOU CAN! lern from me!
zeppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 08:59 PM   #5
Elvis
Registered Member

I can't help but echo the above comments. A car from that part of the country that has visible rust is beyond a doubt going to be a MAJOR reclamation project. You are going to put an inordinate amount of sweat equity into it and in the end you are going to have a 6 cylinder Mustang. You will not be satisfied with the performance and it will have limited resale value. I suggest you pass on it. E.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 09:30 PM   #6
zeppi
66 fastback

he has got anouther good point in the end it is still a 6 cyl mustang at least i got rip off on a 4 sp v8
zeppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 06:39 AM   #7
orlowted
Registered Member

My car was a 6 cylinder in about the same shape. I ended up replacing every body panel except the hood and trunk and it had lost of rust and body work under the paint. I paid $650.00 for mine and converted it into a V-8 with a donor car. I wouldn't even pay the reserve for the car knowing what I had to do to mine.
orlowted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 11:27 PM   #8
Paul 69 Mach I
Registered Member

I've been off line for a while, but the advice "Run while you can" is sound advice on that one.
I bought mine off E-bay and it has worked out great. However I had someone who was nearby it that I trusted to look it over. If your buying a car from E-Bay you'd better either go look at it or have someone near the car you trust that can. Or just buy something you know needs a total restoration.
Paul 69 Mach I is offline   Reply With Quote