MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-22-2002, 01:27 AM   #1
Lightspeed
Registered Member

Default the tranny woes

ive thought and thought and rethought about what kinda tranny id like to keep in my 67 stang and i just cant figure it out...i just finished saving up enough money to get my motor rebuilt and found some pretty killer package deals to give me about 350 horses which is what i was aiming for out of my 289, i wanted to go with the t5 tranny swap at first but it seems to be a bit complicated and so i rethought my steps..then i wanted a toploader 4 speed because it would bolt up..then i decided to keep the 3 speed thats in it but ive changed my mind again...im not really all that sure of what all trannys will fit and which one is best for me. so the bottom line is what all transmissions are a pretty much bolt in job that will fit in my stang? id apprecaite any feedback, thanks
Lightspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 08:31 PM   #2
71grande
Registered Member

better idea. send me your tranny and just flintstone it for a while!

Mike

My garage: 1971 Mustang Grande, MSD6A, 625 Road Demon JR, Edelbrock Performer manifold, Hopes and Dreams...

1970 Norton 750 Commando

1993 Saturn SC2. The wifeys. fuzzy dice and all.
71grande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 12:27 PM   #3
David Fulford
Registered Member

The T5 swap isn't complicated. It is done with no welding a custom fabrication.(on 69s anyway) But it does require a few more parts.(new cross memeber, flywheel, bell-housing, shifter, and a few others I'm probably forgetting)When I got my car, It had a 4-spd toploader in it which I still have and will re-build one day. If I had to do it all over again, I would have re-built the toploader, because everyone says you can fill them full of dirt and they will still work perfect.(a little exagerated I'm sure) But I just had to have overdrive and about $2000.00 later I have it. I'd go with the toploader simply because of the durability.
1969 fast back; yellow; weld wheels; 302 roller with GT-40 heads; 3:55 gears; 5spd T-5; MSD 6AL; E-303; flows; Hedman headers; Holley 600;Weiand Accelerator;1.6 rockers
David Fulford is offline   Reply With Quote