MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-07-2000, 10:20 PM   #1
muztangFB
Registered Member

Question C4 Transmission rebuild

I have a 65 fastback with the 289 2V and C4 transmission. I've driven the car for about 25K and in that time I have had 3 differant trannys, so I've given up on anyone ever doing a descent rebuild, and I'm just gonna do it myself (I hope). The problem is, I have no clue how to work on a transmission, so I need all help anyone can offer. I'm planning on pulling the tranny out of a 68 parts car i have, and rebuilding it, then replacing the tranny in my car with it (i need to keep my car on the road). Is this gonna create any extra hassle for me?? I'm hoping to use the B&M transkit for the rebuild, does anyone have this kit?? If so, what do you think of it?? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
muztangFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2000, 12:14 PM   #2
red
Registered Member

Red face

Welcome aboard muztangFB!
I have pulled the C4 from my fastback 5 times in the last 3 years and had 3 different people work on it. If you really want to rebuild it yourself Eastwood sells a video on rebuilding the C4 and you can also get a manual. I bought the video and manual then I realized you need some special tools and determined it would be too expensive to do myself.
The last guy that rebuilt my trans used a Fairbanks kit. He said you can order it through a transmission shop and it is better than B&M, TCI, ect.. It is working well so far! I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Good Luck,
-JON
red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2000, 07:28 PM   #3
PoppyJim
Registered Member

Smile

If you have gone thru 3 transmissions in 25000 miles the first thing I would do is go to another shop and install a good trans cooler.I used to think auto transmissions were "black magic' but have rebuilt 2 C4's in last few years,1 for my 351 Falcon and the other for my 289 Morris Minor.No problems whatsoever.Get a 1965 Mustang Factory Repair manual and it has a good breakdown of the C4.No special tools are required except for the reverse-high clutch.I just used two c clamps.I used a $50 rebuild kit from Northern Auto parts and a Trans-Go shift kit.If you can rebuild a carburetor you can rebuild a C4.Go for it!
PoppyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2000, 03:58 PM   #4
macx
Registered Member

I just self-built/upgraded an AOD - after lots of research (very good site is baumannengineering.com) got baumann shift kit and a couple other small goodies. Found best kit/value at Art Carr, their premium kit included high perf clutch packs, etc, along with ALL other items needed. They also have manuals (ATSG) that are pretty decent, which have a listing of special tools available. I was able to make all of my special tools such as seal protectors, bushing drivers, etc. Took some fiddling, but worked out.

DON'T skimp on bargain parts!!!

From above post, where does one get the Factory Rebuild manual? I've also found public libraries to have the big Chilton type manuals that are very detailed and which you can usually photocopy right at the library.

HIGHLY recommend a cooler, maybe a trans temp gauge to track temps, and a shift kit to firm up shifts at least a little. Consider synthetic fluid although expensive, or maybe only slightly more expensive semi-synthetic such as Aamco.

PS - AOD or better an AOD/E swap is a great swap for street/highway because gives OD. Bolts pretty much right up, uses same driveshaft, starter and flex plate you have. Have to modify rear mount a little, or they're commercially available. Info at Baumann site, or email me for address of several good articles on the swap if you're interested.

macx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2000, 12:46 PM   #5
PoppyJim
Registered Member

Cool

Macx,
When I responded to Muztangfb for C4 rebuild info I was trying to convey that you don't have to be a rocket scientist to rebuild a C4,nor do you have to spend a lot of money.I used a Transtar brand rebuild kit which came with Raybestos clutches and quality seals,gaskets etc.The Transgo shift kit was used because it allows 2nd gear to be held as long as you want,which the TCI or B&M kits don't.I found this out myself when the trans would shift into high at about 5200RPM with the shifter still in 2nd,with a B&M kit in 1 trans and a TCI in the other.Put the Transgo kit in,and no problem.The cost of rebuild kit and shift kit shouldn't be much more than$120 for both.
My 351 Falcon has over 1500 drag strip passes and my 289 Morris Minor has 200+ passes and both have a C4 built by me with parts mentioned,with no problems at track or street.The factory manual is a FOMOCO for 1965 Comet Fairlane Falcon and Mustang and should be available at old Ford or Mustang parts place.The ATSG manual for a C5 is good reference,they do't have one for a C4.The AOD sounds nice but personally I wouldn't attemp to rebuild one of those.
Jim
PoppyJim is offline   Reply With Quote