MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-17-2002, 10:07 AM   #1
7000rpmisheaven
Registered Member

Default Tune Edlebrock Performer Carb?

I'm posting this here cause most of the people in the Windsor forum are about EFI. I have 85 4v. I am trying to properly tune my edelbrock performer carb. I don't want any flames about carb type. Through my own experiences I prefer Holley and will probably swithc back to one in the future. For now I want to tune the one I have to run the best.

I was looking through the manual they have up at the edelbrock web site. It gives instructions on how to properly tune the carb for the various stages. My question is about tuning for WOT and for cruise mode. Both list rod and jet changes for each. How can I tune for WOT and then tune for cruise without messing that up. Is it proper to tune these stages in specific orders. What do you recommend.
milodon water pump, FMS 9mm wires, aluminum driveshaft, king cobra clutch
7000rpmisheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 06:07 PM   #2
CobraII76
Registered Member

You won't like my thoughts on this. Buy a small fishing boat and some chain tie that Edelbrock to it and fish on. From what I've seen of the Edelbrock it seems best to bolt it on and run it. Ebock does not seem to be that user friendly. Go for the Holley they are dirt cheap on ebay.
Old 05-18-2002, 08:25 PM   #3
Gearhead999
Registered Member

I guess I'm the odd man out. But, I have had very good experience with the Elderbrock [AFB type] carbs. I have two 500's on my 68 mustang. They run great.

I used the chart. Tuned the cruise first. Then the WOT. A couple of metering rod changes, you can buy a kit cheap to do this.

You don't have to worry about power valves blowing out everytime something goes wrong. And they stay in adjustment.

I do believe that the Holley is superior on WOT only applications. For street driving, cruising and around town use, I prefer the AFB.

Dave
1968 Cougar
2004 Thunderbird
2007 F150 Harley-Davidson, SuperCrew
1986 LTD
1997 Ranger
1992 Honda Civic
Gearhead999 is offline   Reply With Quote