MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-23-2002, 03:25 PM   #1
ponyexpress289
Registered Member

Default turbo?

this is gonna sound stupid but o well
can u put a turbo on a carb. engine? hehe if u can what size boost or whatever, and how much would it cost ( if u can )
thx
ponyexpress289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 05:21 PM   #2
fordkid68
Registered Member

well I know you can turbo A carbed engine. not sure on the boost though. but I know people have done it. I would say the boost really depends on how your engine is built. but dont quote me on it cuz I am no turbo expert.

well hang in there A few more hours and the rest of your question will be answerd.

ford kid
fordkid68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 10:17 PM   #3
ponyexpress289
Registered Member

Default turbo

alright thx i saw some supercharger for carb engines but u need a demon carb which means bad *** motor and 2500 dollars
Old 09-24-2002, 07:36 AM   #4
ponyexpress289
Registered Member

Default grand nationals

i thought the buicks were carburated and had a turbo
Old 09-24-2002, 09:47 PM   #5
joinrdie
Registered Member

Default Buick Turbos

Yeah, the Buick Grand National, and even some of the regular Regals had a turbo, carbureted 3.8L V6.

Also, you don't *have* to run Demon carbs with a blower; any sufficiently high flowing carb will do.

http://www.mach-sr1.org
joinrdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 10:17 PM   #6
DAN-MAN
Confederate Cowboy

Yeah, you can run a turbo and carb'd motor. A friend of mine runs one on his ranger and has gone 6.50's in the 1/8. He modified the intake to where a duct runs from the turbo to the intake manifold. All of the turbo setups I've seen have had the turbo taking in air first then it goes to the turbo. You'd have to run a carb that's big enough for the amount of boost your looking to run. I hope that this helps.

Daniel.

RHC MEMBER #25
DAN-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 08:00 AM   #7
ponyexpress289
Registered Member

Default holley

i got a big carb for my 289 its a holley if i were to put a turbo how much would it be and what size boost ?
where can i go ask in person bout turbos ( dallas area if yall no ) ?
thx
Old 09-25-2002, 08:16 AM   #8
PKRWUD

For everything you will need, plan on spending at least $1000. I don't know where you can get a set-up that cheap, but if you found a friend of a friend that was hard up for cash, you might get everything for a grand. Otherwise, $1500 - $2000 is more like the lowest price you'll find.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 09:32 AM   #9
ponyexpress289
Registered Member

Default turbio

would i have to make any mods to my motor other thasn the turbo stuff?
Old 09-25-2002, 10:23 AM   #10
joinrdie
Registered Member

You would definitely want some forged pistons and good rings, or else you will burn right through them. I would imagine that a pretty lumpy cam would be beneficial, too.

http://www.mach-sr1.org
joinrdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 11:01 AM   #11
PKRWUD

Lower compression pistons.
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 04:15 PM   #12
samwe
Registered Member

Check out www.toohighpsi.com , specifically this page http://www.toohighpsi.com/BudgetTT/BudgetTT.htm

People seems to be assuming you have to buy an expensive setup...
The above website shows what you can build..

I have found people to be discouraging when you try some out of the ordinary mods.
8.8 w/3.73s, LSD, and discs.

Last edited by samwe; 09-29-2002 at 04:21 PM..
samwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 08:58 PM   #13
indiana dave
Registered Member

First off, you don't give much info. What type of engine?
The early 2.3 4cyl turbos were carb'd. But they never would have the potential of fuel injection.
In any "boosted" engine, timing needs to ne adjustaed instantly as the boost climbs... Without the advent of computers & fuel injection, this was dificult to do. Thus early turbocharged cars are few and far between... along with fuel injection, came increased tuning & reliability. And with that, came the ability to run higher boost without the chance of detonation.

A "lumpy cam" is exactly opposite of what a turbocharged engine wants... Talk to a cam manufacturer about that one... I believe a turbo wants more overlap & longer duration.. lift isn't as important.
You'd have to fabricate exhaust headers to mount the turbo(s) to. & some tubing to run it up to the carb. hood clearance would probably be an issue. You'd also have to come up with some type of boost regulator, and timing retard device. Unless you're pretty good fabricator & mechanic, this could get expensive.
I know of a few bolt on kits for the fuel injected 5.0's... Maybe one of them would be a good starting point? My advice would be to call one of these manufacturers and ask as many questions as you can.
I'd do a search on the net for texas turbo, or just carburated trubocharged engines, and see what comes up. Trusting the average joe (V-8 guys) with a question like this is going to get you a lot of mis-information.
FYI, I'm not a expert on this swap, but i do own a SVO Mustang, and have learned a deal about turbos along the way.
Old 10-04-2002, 01:53 AM   #14
66StangGuy
Registered Member

check out paxtonsuperchargers.com they make a kit for the mustang for a turbo or supercharger. Its somewhat pricy but if you want the power its what it will cost. claims it can bost power 75%. if i did that to my motor i would have about 550hp. wish i had the money to try it.
Old 10-04-2002, 09:50 PM   #15
Yellow67GTA
Registered Member

If you do find a turbo or supercharger ensure that you purchase a mechanical fuel pump that has a vaccum/boost port. This will ensure that the fuel flow will increase to the carb as boost increases.
As for the amount of boost, I know a stock SVO Mustang can achieve 18lbs. A drawback to a turbo is turbolag, since it runs off of the engines exhuast gases it needs the pressure developed around 2000 RPMs before it really kicks in. The bueaty of it is your engine acts like a 289 below this rpm but above 2000rpm it will think it is a 390.
I've also read in "1001 high performance tech tips" a stock 289 can handle up to 600hp without internal modifications, of course this is assuming the engine was rebuilt right and with OEM or better quality parts
Yellow67GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 10:16 PM   #16
Rev
Registered Member

Default Carb

Remember that the carb will be enclosed and the whole thing will see the increased pressure (atmospheric+boost). You need to make sure that the floats will not implode. The linkage also will need to go through some kind of "sealed" box. Adequate fuel must reach the carb compatible with the increased pressurized air. If all these criterion are met, a good result can be a reality. Everything must be there for that to happen though.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 12:18 AM   #17
ponyexpress289
Registered Member

Default yellow gt

600 wow that awesome and u say w/o internal mods thats even awesomer
i could just get a turbo and strap it on plus the fuel pump
and basicall thats all i need to spend?
Old 10-06-2002, 11:52 PM   #18
Ron1
Registered Member

A 289 can handle 600 HP? Once maybe. Even with a cryo freeze on the block, crank and valve springs, main girdle support, forged slugs and the rest, it "might" handle it, but for a very short time. And certainly not with OEM parts. I just received a photo from a friend who made 545 HP on a stock block. The crack ran from the distributor down the entire lenght of the block. Been there, done that. If you want to run a turbo, start with a fairly low compression motor, 8 to1 so you can use some boost. A higher compression motor would be limited to 6 to 8 pounds of boost. If you are worried about lag, go with a Kenne Bell whipple charger...no lag. But again on a stock motor, you have to run some sort of boost retard module to pull timing out and make sure you have an good fuel supply. Even then your gain would only be around 65-75 HP, since you cant really crank up the boost without detonating.

Ron
Ron1 is offline   Reply With Quote