MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-27-2001, 02:44 PM   #1
David Fulford
Registered Member

Post Turn signals

I was wondering why my blinkers would not be working if my tail lights and emerg. flashers are working. I figured they were on the same circuit. Where should I start trouble shooting for this problem. I do have a fuse that keeps blowing but I can't tell what it says on the fuse block. Would the blinkers be on a seperate fuse.
David Fulford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 03:04 PM   #2
SirenSong
Registered Member

Do the lights work but not blink, outside as well as on the dash? Have you replaced the fuse/switch underneath the steering wheel? It's an inexpensive part, which is good, but they don't seem to be made very well. I've replaced mine multiple times.

------------------
Emily Walker
emily@siren-song.com
1966 Mustang
SirenSong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2001, 03:30 PM   #3
David Fulford
Registered Member

No the lights don't work at all and I've replace the flasher module. I guess I'm going to have to get a mustang bool that shows all the wiring and try to trace down the circuit. Thanks for the info though.
David Fulford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 12:25 AM   #4
Y2KGT
Registered Member

Lightbulb

It sounds like you have a short somewhere.

One thing you should do as general rule to pinpoint a short is to test any suspect wire leads with a Multimeter. My friend (who is far better with electronics than I) used a Multimeter to measure the resistance and continunity of several wire leads on my '66.

The first place I would begin checking for shorts would be the front parking lamps. I had a backup lamp that had to be unplugged because it blew a fuse every time I put it into reverse.

The next place I would check would be the wiring in the steering column. This is also a common place for shorts to occur.

You should go ahead and order the wiring manual for your car. If you plan on keeping it for any amount of time, you're gonna need it!

The things that you almost have to have when pinpointing problems like these are a Multimeter, wiring manual, a bucket of fuses, and a lot of patience.

Good luck!

------------------
2000 GT -- Black, 5sp, Mach460, Bassani CatBack & X-Pipe, MAC Cold Air, 70mm Tbody, Hurst Shifter
1966 Mustang Coupe -- Tahoe Turquoise, Pony Int, A-Code, C4 Auto
------------------
scott@pearland.com
Y2KGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 08:31 AM   #5
Jaydee
Registered Member

I don't know what year your car is, but on 65's and 66 cars with original wiring, some of the wires in the harness going into both of the tail light housings can tend to crack, fray and seperate causing operating and shorting problems simular to what you are describing - I have repaired a few of these over the years. Its worth taking a quick a look.

------------------
1965 K code coupe - numbers matching - restoration ongoing. 1987 LX notch, stock heads and intake, 3.55's and typical bolt on's 13.89@100.25
Jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 10:00 AM   #6
Clark Rodgers
Registered Member

Hold on David!
I don't know about your car but my car has a seperate flasher for turn signals. There should be one flasher (emergency) near the steering column and other (turn signal) near the glove box. Don't know if this is your problem but can't rule this out.

------------------
69 351W Sportsroof deluxe
Clark Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote