MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-09-2004, 11:47 AM   #1
Kisner
Registered Member

Default Grease Question

Will show my ignorance and ask this stupid question anyway. My 68 hardtop desperately needs to be greased (I know it's been at least 15 years since it was last done) and don't want anyone to do it except myself. I've never greased a car before so I need some advice. Is there any particular type grease or grease gun I should buy? Also, any pointers on how to apply the grease, i.e., just squeeze it in until it starts overflowing? Think I know where all the grease fittings are under the car - didn't count but believe there's anywhere from 8-10. Thanks.
Kisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 09:42 PM   #2
Rev
Registered Member

Default Chassis grease

Just get a cartridge of name brand chassis grease from the local auto supply. Something like Valvoline or any name brand. You'll need a grease gun of course to pump it into the zerx fittings. Just put it in untill it slightly oozes out and that should do it. Some fittings on the upper suspension arms are hard to get to. Check for fittings on the u joints also.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 11:55 AM   #3
Kisner
Registered Member

Hey, thanks Rev. Just wanted to make sure before I started I didn't screw anything up. On my 68, someone cut out 4 holes (2 on each side) in the engine compt. shock towers to easily get to the upper suspension grease fittings. Doesn't look that pretty but should make it pretty easy to get to. Didn't look around the U-Joint - will have to check that too. Also saw one on the power steering cylinder, but don't think I'll do that one since it's brand new. Is there anything else on the front suspension parts I should rub some grease on to eliminate squeaks if the parts don't have grease fittings? Thanks.
Old 03-13-2004, 08:21 AM   #4
Kisner
Registered Member

O.K. I bought a grease gun and multi-purpose grease cartridges at AutoZone. However, when I greased all the fittings (did find the one on the U-Joint which I never knew was there) I'm under the impression or illusion that no grease went in. It just seemed to squeeze out around the zerk fittings when I pulled the trigger. It did this on all the fittings. I held it straight and tight up against the fittings. Am I doing something wrong? Do you have to unscrew these fittings like a brake bleeding screw to get them to open up? Or is it possible they were all already filled with grease? Also didn't seem like the zerk fittings went far enough down into the end of the grease gun. I'm stumped.
Old 03-13-2004, 01:33 PM   #5
red
Registered Member

There are different sized fittings, sounds like your gun end may be for a 1/4" zerk and the fittings on the car are 1/8"?
red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 12:21 PM   #6
Kisner
Registered Member

May be where I screwed up - didn't realize the zerk fittings came in different sizes. Will go back to AutoZone and see if I can buy a 1/4" fitting for the end of the gun (looks like the end of the gun is too small for my fittings). If I can find a larger fitting, does it snap onto the zerk somehow or do you just hold it up to the zerk fitting as tight as you can? Also, you don't loosen up the zerk fittings do you or are they already open to receive grease?
Old 03-14-2004, 08:50 PM   #7
Rev
Registered Member

Default Zerx fittings

They have a llittle spring loaded one way ball valve that lets grease in but not out. The pressure from the grease gun opens the valve to let the grease in. I guess they could be clogged up, but the ones I've seen have always worked.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Old 03-15-2004, 11:44 AM   #8
Kisner
Registered Member

Thanks tremendously for your help. I put on my glasses this time (old age kicking in) and used the flashlight and did see the small spring-loaded ball on the end of the zerks. Stupid me thought it was just a small open hole there. I've also realized from talking to the folks at AutoZone again that the end of the grease gun has like a triangular-shaped spring-loaded retainer that actually snaps over the zerk to form an air tight seal. Didn't realize that so I guess I'll have to push a lot harder to get the gun nozzle to snap over the zerk. Will try again this afternoon and see if I can finally get some grease flowing into these puppies. Will let you know.
Old 03-16-2004, 04:17 PM   #9
Kisner
Registered Member

Problem solved and now I feel like even more of an idiot. Didn't realize that the grease gun end was adjustable. The one I bought was screwed in all the way basically closing off the opening. After I turned it counterclockwise a few times the end pushed right on the grease fittings and locked in place. Anyway, got everything greased, including the U-Joint. Went through a whole 3 oz. tube of grease. Guess they were in desperate need of grease. Hopefully I didn't add too much. Read an article that stated when the rubber boot started to swell, then stop. There were none like that (with the clamps on each end) on my Mustang except the power steering cylinder (didn't grease that one since it's brand new). Mine were all like rubber caps over the ball joints, etc. I basically filled them and stopped once I saw grease start to ooze from the bottom of the cap. On the U-Joint, I basically stopped once it started backing up out the nozzle (didn't see any kind of rubber boot at all around it). Does that sound about right to everyone?
Old 03-16-2004, 07:47 PM   #10
Rev
Registered Member

Default Now you've got it

I think you have it done.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: