MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-18-2003, 11:46 PM   #1
skiwesser
Registered Member

Question Installing new fuel pump.....Any tips I should know?

Stock fuel pump finally gave up, never done this job before. I'm sure I've got a how to artical somwhere but are there any things to know, tips? seems pretty simple?
skiwesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 10:12 AM   #2
lx mike
Undescribable

do a search and you'll find someone that has posted on doing a fuel pump. I've done mine and i can offer a few tips: run your tank as low as possible on gas. makes it easier to handle when you under there. there a little strap connected to the filler kneck don't forget that. when you do get tank down make sure you use a brass punch to loosen the lock ring, don't use anything that will make any sparks!!
Rice Haters Club Member #101
lx mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 11:26 AM   #3
stang_racer20
Registered Member

This is the exact process for a fox-body but you failed to mention what car you have:

put jack under tank

loosen straps

loosen filler neck bracket(1x 5/16" bolt on pass. side)

disconnect 1x electrical connection at back of tank

as you lower tank it must be yanked off the filler tube towards the driver side. if worn replace the filler neck seal.

when down disconnect fuel lines, always a *****, and vacuum line from tank.

when out. use block of hard wood or soft metal to break the seal ring loose on top of tank. note it will take a couple of nice hits to get loose.

remove sending unit and follow instructions of pump to replace the pump, hose, filter and seals. Also note, it can really be a ***** to get back in cause of the filter.

reverse process.

hope this helps
92 Mustang GT, 347 Stroker(Forged Steel Crank/Rods-Balanced, Forged Aluminum Dished Pistons), Trick Flow Track Heat Intake, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge Heads w/ Stage 3 port/polish, 80mm C&L MAF, FMS 30# Inj., BBK AFPR, Trick Flow Stage 2 Cam, Trick Flow 1.6R Rockers, BBK E.L. Headers, Flowmaster Cat-Back, MAC CAI, FMS Pulleys, Griffin Alum. Radiator, MSD Pro-Billet Distributor; AOD, Dynamic 3300 Lockup Converter, B & M Super Cooler, B&M Ratchet Shifter; 3:73 gears.
stang_racer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 10:02 PM   #4
erl2589
Registered Member

Clean the top of the tank real good and take care not to drop any dirt and crap in the tank while you've got everything apart.

My brother in law did his twice because the first new pump was bad . He suggests checking the pump before putting it back together. (I didn't check mine)

Give some thought to what future mods you might make and get a pump that will handle them.
Old 10-20-2003, 12:04 AM   #5
skiwesser
Registered Member

Thanks guys
Yeah it's a fox body (88GT)
I'm going with a 190 lph pump
The tank is nearly empty and it gave it up after I got home one day, went to start it next day and did'nt hear it cycle, looked at FP guage , no pressure. Checked and the pump was getting power.What luck it happened at home. I LOVE THIS CAR!!
Never has left me stranded Had it since new!
88 GT: subs,pullies, 1 3/4 longtubes, flowmasters, AFR 165's,T,F #1 cam,Thyphoon intake, 24# inj., 73mm C&L,65mmT.B., 190LPH pump, Eagle sir rods, forged pistons in a newly rebuilt 306.

DYNO TUNED TO 300.97 RWHP 337RWTQ
skiwesser is offline   Reply With Quote