MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-20-2005, 06:47 AM   #1
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

Default Update on my 65 "PICS"

I took my 65 to a body shop about a month ago, the owner has let me come out there at night and on weekends and work on it. I have done all the exterior work and a lot of work on the floor pans.

So far, the right side is complete and ready. The left side was almost complete when we trailered it out there, just needs finessing. The final piece of body work is the Shelby hoodscoop I am molding in. The rate it is going, we should have the valances fitted and start painting red in a couple of weeks!

1997 Mustang GT Convertible, 4.6L Auto, Autumn Orange w/Saddle Tan Top & Leather Interior, Styling Bar, 17 X 9 Polished Cobra R's on Nitto NT 555's, Ford Racing Bullitt Suspension package, Mac CAI, Steeda UDP's, Flowmaster 40 Series Catback, SCT X-Calibrator II, Zaino Shine, 7 time Show Winner, driven daily
Orange97GTVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 09:08 PM   #2
Phillyfanfrombirth
Registered Member

Default Re: Update on my 65 "PICS"

By the height, I would presume that you have the engine in there... one of the biggest mistakes that I made, was not masking my engine that I had just put in... I was very dissappointed to see the yellow from the exterior find its way onto the blue engine and gloss black engine bay.... it was a dust that I just could never totally get rid of. I guess most of it was from sanding the old paint.

Ugh.
Phillyfanfrombirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 10:22 PM   #3
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

My engine was detailed about 4 years ago, it is covered in dust. After paint we are pulling the engine and detailing it, also adding an aluminum intake and 4 bbl, so at that time I am detailing all that stuff, but we will cover it with plastic anyways.

Tonight we turned the car around, Paul ran his hands all over the sides and said this side is ready for the good primer. I sanded on that damn hood scoop for hours, it is an epoxy bonding agent and it is hard as a rock, just about 80% done with that. This weekend I will finish it and fit the valances up. After that, I have about a day of grinding on the welds in the floor pans and we are ready to paint!

We plan to take the doors, hood and trunk off and spray the undersides and the door jams and the trunk, then put them back on, perfect the alignment and paint the whole car. I think he is excited as me, the shop owner is a Mustang guy, you should see all the Mustangs around this shop, some are his and some are customers.

1997 Mustang GT Convertible, 4.6L Auto, Autumn Orange w/Saddle Tan Top & Leather Interior, Styling Bar, 17 X 9 Polished Cobra R's on Nitto NT 555's, Ford Racing Bullitt Suspension package, Mac CAI, Steeda UDP's, Flowmaster 40 Series Catback, SCT X-Calibrator II, Zaino Shine, 7 time Show Winner, driven daily
Old 10-30-2005, 11:07 PM   #4
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

New Update - We have sprayed the whole car in primer, and I have now block sanded the whole car with 400 followed by 800. It is smooth as glass. I found a couple of places that had some shallow spots, and I have glazed them and sanded till they are smooth. It will be Wednesday night before I can go back out there, but we will start painting the valances and headlight buckets, etc by the end of the week and take all the doors and the hood and trunk off and spray the backs of them and the jambs and inside the trunk!

Pics are after primer but before sanding...