MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-08-2001, 09:02 PM   #1
chad 66mustang
Registered Member

Post updating a 66mustang

First I like to say that the setup here and the friendly advice given is remarkable. I,m more of a motor person myselve, so I'm looking for any helpful info. on what I can do to upgrade or my suspension and sterring of my 66 mustang which has a 289 motor. As of right now everything is stock and in need of so major attension. thanks,
chad 66mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2001, 09:19 PM   #2
induction
The Brit!

Chad welcome... im new here myself your rite everyones great here (even about typ-ossss) lol , anyway try PST @ www.pst.com ive ordered from them b4 , the parts were ok but the best part is they will set u in the correct direction.
induction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2001, 11:59 PM   #3
Fostang
Registered Member

Well there are plenty of thing you can do to upgrade your suspension. I personaly have 5 leaf lifts springs, 620 springs in the front, kyb shocks, thicker front and rear swaybars, polyurathane bushings, shelby quick steer set up, under rider traction bars, comp. eng. sub frame connectors, export brace, monte carlo bar, racing shackles, and other little things. As you can see there is plenty you can do and spend on. I mostly got all of my stuff from www.mustangsplus.com they offer great magna products and the staff is friendly. If you really love your car and plan to keep it you might want to look into the rack and pinion set up. I know I am total control products sells it.

------------------
67'fastback- Edelbrock carb, intake, cam, valve springs. Road lifters, Comp Cam rocker arms, windage tray, cerama coated headers, dual flows with H-pipe, modded c-4, tci stall converter, perma cool electric fan, aluminum water pump, griffen aluminum radiator, accel 8.8 cable, wide cap distriburator, magnetic pick up, manley valves, v-matic hurst shifter, edelbrock performer nitrous, carter electric fuel pump, ignitor coil, solid motor mounts, magna racing suspension, poly urathane bushings, und
Fostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2001, 12:23 AM   #4
j's69stang
Registered Member

i think that you can find one of the best suspension and steering upgrades at www.totalcontrolproducts.com on the market. Not it is kind of expensive but well worth the money. They put these products on elanor in the movie Gone in 60 Seconds. tremedous
j's69stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2001, 09:48 PM   #5
gp001
Registered Member

I agree with ALL the above posts. I have a PST front end, Suspension from Mustangs Plus, and Subframes & Tower Braces from Total Control. I would also like to recommend a master cylinder upgrade. Trans Am Racing (310-323-5417 in Southern Cal) makes an awesome dual master cylinder/power booster set. Works great and looks great

------------------
347, 279/284 .493/.510, TFS TW, Stealth, 750, Flowtech hdrs, Dr. Gas X, 2 Chmbr Flowmaster, MSD 6AL-Dist.& SS coil, Art Carr C-4, Currie 9" w/3.55, alum Drv Shft, susp mods, 4 wheel power disc
In a 66 coupe
gp001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 02:35 AM   #6
COBRA66
Registered Member

I would go with total control. Even though i live just up the road ( country mile ) from mustangs plus, i only go there if its an imergency cause there prices are usually pretty high. So shop around.
COBRA66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2001, 07:10 PM   #7
Rev
Registered Member

I got all my suspension and steering parts from Mustangs Plus, and thought it was priced O.K. for the quality that it was. It did cost some extra to ship to Texas from Cali., but that wasn't their fault. I've never been dissatisfied with anything that I ordered from them.

Rev

------------------
'66 Coupe, 306, 300 HP, C-4, 13.97 e.t., 100.3 mph
1/4 mi.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2001, 07:31 PM   #8
Billgear
Registered Member

I did the Mustang Plus as well, I also lowered my upper control arms useing the pro-motorsports negative wedge kit. The best
improvement has been going to 17" wheels
with sticky Yokahama tires. The old cars will
stick in the corners better then you might think!

Regards,
BillGear www.289mustang.com

------------------
Billgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2001, 10:13 PM   #9
Jaydee
Registered Member

Excellent advise given here. All of the companies mentioned have excellent setup's. When I did my suspension over 2 yrs ago, I decided to go "original" sort of. The desire to do an original type resto on the car meant keeping the original ride height and styled steel wheels. Ended up installing original spec Eaton springs, urethane bushings throughout, Koni adjustable shocks, a 1" Shelby front sway bar and replaced just about every moving part in the front end. Added a quality set of radials and (very important!)had a front end alignment done by someone who knew what thay were doing. The result was exactly what I was looking for,which was a drastically better handling, steering and riding car that sits at the stock ride height and has a suspension that still works well even with 4 people in the car.

------------------
1965 K code coupe - numbers matching - restoration ongoing. 1987 LX notch, 5 spd, stock heads (minor porting) and intake, 65mmTB, 3.55's, ram air, pulleys, shorty's, 2.5" exhaust with cats 13.89@100.25
Jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote