MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-02-2001, 06:51 AM   #1
lindsayg
Registered Member

Post V8 vs 6

I purchased a 65 coupe 4 years ago it had the 289.I sold the coupe to renovate the house,silly me,anyway i have the opportunity to purchase a 66 original coupe with a 200 cubic inch 120 hp six,fully rebuilt.The car has done 96000 original miles and is in excellent condition.Is it ok to buy the six?
The interior is the genuine luxury package.The car is still left hand drive which is good i will keep it that way.
Thanks for some advice.The price for the car is $24,000 Australian.
regards Lindsay
lindsayg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2001, 08:18 AM   #2
amartin725
Registered Member

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the 6. I love mine and will never trade for anything but another 6. The motors are strong, and will run forever.

However, for a '66 coupe with a 6, $24,000AU (~$12,000US) seems like an awful lot of money. For that price in the states, you'd be looking at restored 289 convertibles. That's my opinion anyway.

Al

------------------
amartin725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2001, 08:28 AM   #3
lindsayg
Registered Member

Thanks for your comments Al,over here in Victoria,Australia fully restored coupes fetch up to $30,000 and convertables up to $45,000.I sold my 65 restored coupe for $23,000 4 years ago.Kylie Minogue had a convertable over here in partnership with her Dad,i think it was a 67 convertable.It sold for i think $65,000. just because of her name i guess.A Mustang fastback,65 concourse winner sold for $28,000 a couple of years ago and the most expensive convertable i have seen was a 65 for $45,000.
Old 06-02-2001, 10:16 AM   #4
amartin725
Registered Member

WOW!!!

Well, then I guess the price seems reasonable!!

Some of us in the states have been able to develop a relationship with some people over there to supply us with lots of knowledge and parts from Oz. Seems you guys have all the fun and the neat cars. Ford continued to develop the I6 in you country after it was abandoned here in the early 80's, and are still producing I6's. To us I6 lovers, you live in the perfect Ford country!

Al

------------------
amartin725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2001, 06:59 PM   #5
lindsayg
Registered Member

Dear Al,
Thanks for your comments once again.I have some excellent photos and info from a mag called Unique cars,where a lot of Mustangs are advertised.I would be happy to send you some photos of some of the cars over here.We certainly have a few thousand Mustang owners and some very good cars.My friend has a Californian 66 Coupe with the 289.I have a lot of pictures of a wimbleton white 65 fastback which won the Victorian concourse 7 times.My email is lindsayg@nex.net.au
Old 06-02-2001, 11:06 PM   #6
gp001
Registered Member

I'm buying a ship and a lot of Mustangs and headin down under for a blow out sale

------------------
347 (Coast High short block), 279/284 .493/.510, TFS TW, Stealth, 750, Flowtech hdrs, Dr. Gas X, 2 Chmbr Flowmaster, MSD 6AL-Dist.& SS coil, March serpentine pulley system, Art Carr C-4, Currie 9" w/3.55, alum Drv Shft, susp mods, Total Control subframes & tower braces, Trans Am Racing power dual master, 4 wheel disc
In a 66 coupe
gp001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2001, 04:04 AM   #7
lindsayg
Registered Member

Ok, come on down to the bottom of the earth and come for dinner mate.'You are always welcome'.Mustangs are increasing in popularity all the time.We now can purchase Cobra Mustangs in right hand drive.$90,000 should get you one of those.The changes to the car are quite significant with better handling etc.i will find out what changes are made to the cars and post it on here.