MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-08-2002, 10:49 AM   #1
Kisner
Registered Member

Question Vent Window Weatherstrip

Has anyone ever changed their vent window weatherstrip on their 67 or 68 coupe? Mine had rotted away and received new one in mail yesterday. Need advice on how to install. In particular, the frame just doesn't screw apart (aside from one screw at the top). The rear edge of the frame (where the front glass run slides into) is held by 2 rivets at the bottom. Do I need to remove these 2 rivets, install weatherstrip, and then put a couple of pop rivets back in? Don't see any other way to get weatherstrip in without taking the frame apart. Also is the front of the weatherstrip glued in? I know the bottom of it has grooves to slide in and the rear has holes for the prongs to fit in. Finally, do the prongs go through frame and front glass run and bent over under front glass run felt? Sure wish instructions came with some of these parts for us novices.
Kisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 09:57 PM   #2
Gearhead999
Registered Member

I redid my 68 FB many years ago and didn't have alot of problems that I remember.

You have to take the rivets out and also scrap everything clean. The vent to division bar is glued in.

Dave
1968 Cougar
2004 Thunderbird
2007 F150 Harley-Davidson, SuperCrew
1986 LTD
1997 Ranger
1992 Honda Civic
Gearhead999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 09:53 AM   #3
Clark Rodgers
Registered Member

Kisner,
Take a look at the Feb. issue of Mustangs & Fords on page 46 they have a great article on changing the door and vent window weatherstripping. They show a way of not removing the vent window, it's for a 65 comet but it might help.
Old 01-09-2002, 01:40 PM   #4
Kisner
Registered Member

My lucky day. After cleaning it thoroughly, was able to bend the rubber weatherstrip enough to slide it in the grooves and completely install without taking it apart or having to remove the rivets and front channel run. Fits fairly snug, but not quite as good as the original. Unfortunately, there's no originals left that I can find. Also had to return the front window channel run weatherstrip I had also received - fit way too loose and wouldn't stay in the channel. None of those originals are left either. Have had pretty good luck with Scott Drake products in the past but Mustangs Unlimited uses another company. Will try theirs.
Kisner is offline   Reply With Quote