MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-11-2001, 09:12 PM   #1
Power
Registered Member

Post Very Difficult Question...

I will probably get some flak for this but I need advice on an engine swap. I originally was thinking about putting in a 351w stroked to a 392(actual 393). But I did a little more research and want to know a few more things.

1. From what i understand anything bigger than my 289 requires modding to the engine mount.
2. What will i be able to fit in my car with minimal headache but max performance. What i mean by that is where is the crossover point of too much headache for not enough gain.
3. I don't have sponsors so i do have a budget and would like to know whats the best bang for the buck. thank you for any help with this and I'll send you a free Cobra if you can help me.

------------------
1966 Baby blue Coupe, 289 w/ man. 3-speed, nothing special but the fact that it is my first mustang. I am a former import guru....no more.

I've never run it except on the street, it has new wheels & tires, new exaust, and that about covers it. Looking to change a lot in the future including engine. Any ideas are appreciated.
Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2001, 10:15 PM   #2
Fostang
Registered Member

What kind of cobra are we talking about? I'd say 347 stroker, some nitrous, heads, cam, you know that works.

------------------
67'fastback- Edelbrock carb, intake, cam, valve springs. Road lifters, Comp Cam rocker arms, windage tray, cerama coated headers, dual flows with H-pipe, modded c-4, tci stall converter, perma cool electric fan, aluminum water pump, griffen aluminum radiator, accel 8.8 cable, wide cap distriburator, magnetic pick up, manley valves, v-matic hurst shifter, edelbrock performer nitrous, carter electric fuel pump, ignitor coil, solid motor mounts, magna racing suspension, poly urathane bushings, und
Fostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 02:09 AM   #3
induction
The Brit!

yes these heads will fit your 289 block but without "headwork it's a bitof a waiste of time. also th 351 willfit without too many mods, it all depends on what you want /where you need to be c/o torque vs. horsepower. Now another option isto stroke a 351 to a 427 this involves .;new rods ,crank balancer headwork ect.an a big wallet to the tune of 3,500 bucks. My sugestion is to use the 289 block,port the 351 heads ad headers large exhaust, port a victor Jr. intake, an for a bit of umph try a hole-shot NOS unit. This tends to work well for a day to day car with the bonus of that mighty stop light launch. all in all about $350 without the nos unit. E-Mail me with the location of my new Cobra
thanks & let us know how it turns out.
induction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 04:10 AM   #4
Power
Registered Member

Well my initial thought was the 351 stroked to 392(393). I wasn't aware that it could go up to 427. Holy Sh!t. Thats pretty big. I figured on eventually spending about $4000 on the engine. Over time of course...but if the bigger engine is that much better then i was going to wait and just buy that instead of trying to build up my 289. Keep in mind i dont care about top speed or long freeway driving. I have other cars to do that. I want something for the street, plain and simple. Also any suggestions on gearing and what i would need to upgrade my tranny(if needed), would be much help. thx guys and gals for all the good advice.

------------------
1966 Baby blue Coupe, 289 w/ man. 3-speed, nothing special but the fact that it is my first mustang. I am a former import guru....no more.

I've never run it except on the street, it has new wheels & tires, new exaust, and that about covers it. Looking to change a lot in the future including engine. Any ideas are appreciated.
Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 10:13 AM   #5
Clark Rodgers
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Power,
If it was me, I would stroke your 289 up to a 347. The parts are much cheaper to stroke up that engine vs. the 351w, Believe me I know I am in the process of stroking my 351.

Flatlander racing offers a pretty good price for their kit and if you have time ebay always has stroker pieces for a good price.

I think for the pain of changing all the parts to do the swap, you would be better with moding your engine.

------------------
69 351W Sportsroof deluxe
Clark Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2001, 03:46 AM   #6
induction
The Brit!

Hey 'Clark' are you in that 2,900 to 3,500 price range on that 351 yet? & what size eng.are you going to?
induction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2001, 02:35 PM   #7
Clark Rodgers
Registered Member

Actually without the block work I am well under that price tag, Thanks to ebay and a few other sources. As for the stroker kit, I am buying a new crank for $500, bought new pistons with rings for $170, new bearings for $25, cam & lifters for $85, eldebrock performer intake $75 and will use my rods with ARP bolts to get 392 cu. in.

Smile on my face, Priceless!

------------------
69 351W Sportsroof deluxe
Clark Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2001, 06:28 PM   #8
COBRA66
Registered Member

Power, stick with your plans on the 351, if you want the torq with out the headaches, then it will do the job. And switching up some engine mounts is no big. You will also have to take into consideration that you will need a new tranny, anything in the powerlevel that you seem to be wanting will destroy that 3-speed. You'll either need a tremec, or a c-4. good luck
COBRA66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2001, 11:41 PM   #9
MrWesson22
Registered Member

Get a toploader 4 speed out of a mustang/torino or something along those lines out of the same era and you'll have nothing to worry about with the power... uses the same bellhousing and crossmember as well. They usually go for $300-500 at swap meets. I'd say go for the 393 or 408 stroked windsor personally. It's a lot easier to get the same power with more cubes, and it will produce much more torque (which is what matters on the street) as well.

------------------
Neal

69 stang
351C/4sp
MrWesson22 is offline   Reply With Quote