MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-26-2002, 02:04 AM   #1
Metal396
Registered Member

Default Order of parts

Well my carb has been getting worse and worse, popping and dying. Im gettin tired of it. I had planned on it, and every experienced carguy i know said it too, that I should get headers, and do my exhaust first before getting a new intake and 4 barrel.

Will there be much difference if i just do the new intake and 4 barrel before i get headers? I know the performance wont be as great without it, but i have to do one thing at a time. Plus the new carb will make my car much more reliable for the time being.

Im going with an Edelbrock performer Intake manifold, and an edelbrock 600cfm carb. Any suggestions of a bigger carb for my motor? Just wanted your oppinions. Thanks

1973 Mustang Coupe 351 cleveland 2v heads
Edelbrock Performer Intake, Holley 600cfm carb
Hooker Headers, 2.5 inch pipes, Magnaflow X-pipe, Flowmaster 2 chamber mufflers with turndowns.
Stock Fmx tranny and 2.75 rear end
My website:http://www.geocities.com/spddemontc
User Rides Index: http://www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/...splay.cgi?2541
Metal396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 10:56 PM   #2
HotRoddin
cranky old man

Default Re: Order of parts

Quote:
Originally posted by Metal396
Well my carb has been getting worse and worse, popping and dying. Im gettin tired of it. I had planned on it, and every experienced carguy i know said it too, that I should get headers, and do my exhaust first before getting a new intake and 4 barrel.

Will there be much difference if i just do the new intake and 4 barrel before i get headers? I know the performance wont be as great without it, but i have to do one thing at a time. Plus the new carb will make my car much more reliable for the time being.

Im going with an Edelbrock performer Intake manifold, and an edelbrock 600cfm carb. Any suggestions of a bigger carb for my motor? Just wanted your oppinions. Thanks

Well if your car is running like crap and you're sure its because of the carb then you'll notice alot more difference changing the carb and intake. I don't think there is much difference between a good exhaust and bad intake or a bad exhaust and good intake ... either way your engine is restricted. I'd go with the intake side, that way while you're waiting for the exhaust at least your car will be idling good and starting good and getting better milage. As for the edelbrock 600, i probably shouldn't say it but all i see there is an old Carter AFB that they've probably updated... i didn't like them back then and i wouldn't buy one now ... but thats just my humble opinion.
HotRoddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 10:58 PM   #3
joinrdie
Registered Member

I am currently building the same motor, with edelbrock intake and a holley 750. I also have hedman headers.

Generally, engines have a harder time breathing on the exhaust side than the intake, just because the exhaust gases have to travel 10 times as far. You'd probably get more bang for your buck with a set of headers and some flowmasters than with a carb and intake. (for now anyway)

Besides that, to take avantage of a big'ol carb like that you'll need a pretty good cam. The stock 2V one I pulled out has no lift and huge duration. Not coincidentally, '73 was when emissions standards started getting more stringent. But I digress. My amateur recommendation is to go with the exhaust side first, then tear apart the motor and do those other mods when you have saved up some dough.

HMM, HR beat me to it. And he recommends the opposite. This being my first motor, I guess I'd take his advice over mine.

http://www.mach-sr1.org
joinrdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 12:34 AM   #4
71grande
Registered Member

I am having the same problJust cant seem to scratch up the dough to do what I know I should.

I would drop a new carb and intake on her, and later stick a new set of nostrils on her, Heddman headers, 2 chamber Flows, 2.25 inch pipe. Ohh, the music she will make....

On another note, DONT SELL HER!!! there are a bunch of 64-68 cars out there. All over the place. How often have you seen a car like ours? In 5 years, I have seen only 3. Mine, Yours, and there is a red one running around San Clemente all the time. I keep trying to chase the guy down to talk to him, but my tranny slipps, soI cant get over 70 MPH on the freeway.

Mike

My garage: 1971 Mustang Grande, MSD6A, 625 Road Demon JR, Edelbrock Performer manifold, Hopes and Dreams...

1970 Norton 750 Commando

1993 Saturn SC2. The wifeys. fuzzy dice and all.
71grande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 12:49 AM   #5
Metal396
Registered Member

hehe yeah i deffinately cant sell her... parents wont let me... I met a guy at California speedway, running a 73 grande. IT WAS PRACTICALLY IDENTICAL TO MINE! as a matter of fact i have pictures of it : i have a couple more pics of it under drag race pictures of my website.

I talked to him for a while, he is running everything that i want to. He was running low 13s. I dont wanna exploit too much about it though, i dont own it. Id sure like to talk to that guy more, to know exactly what he has done and how. Im mad at myself for not taking any pictures of the engine.

Oh and thats exactly what i wanna do for my exhaust: Hooker comp headers $182. Then 2.5 inch pipes, 2 chamber flowmasters.
$300 bucks.

Hooker Headers, 2.5 inch pipes, Magnaflow X-pipe, Flowmaster 2 chamber mufflers with turndowns.
Old 10-27-2002, 05:52 PM   #6
hobgoblin351
Registered Member

Which came first the chicken or the egg? Headers before new carb Hmmmmmmm. From a straight performance standpoint do the exhaust side first. But and this is a big but, you've got problems with the carb and intake now. So what good is a great rxhaust if you're watchin from the sidelines? Do the carb and intake first. Sounds like you've got the right sizes picked out too. A 2V cleveland dosent need more than a 600cfm carb. With the small2v heads you wont flow more air than that anyway. I'm more of a holley man myself though. A 600 with vacume secondaries is a good little carb! The Hooker super comp headers are probably overkill too. You're not going to flow that much air. I run a 351C-4V so I know just finding headers is a problem. So the choices are very limited to say the least. I think mine are Dynamax. Oh and dont forget the lowering bracket for the power steering rack, and you might need a mini starter too. Good Luck
hobgoblin351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 11:29 PM   #7
Metal396
Registered Member

That is exactly my point right there. I am buying the intake and 4 barrel as soon as i can, i will keep you all posted. Thanks for your help.

Oh and this is a pic i made from my car and my favorite band (designs).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg customicedearthfinal.jpg (89.0 KB, 23 views)

Old 11-02-2002, 07:40 PM   #8
NitroStanggirl
Registered Member

Default Carb

MY VOTE FOR DEMON!!!!! Mighty Demon or Speed Demon. Great carbs!
Old 11-02-2002, 10:39 PM   #9
HotRoddin
cranky old man

Quote:
Originally posted by Metal396
Oh and this is a pic i made from my car and my favorite band (designs).
Bud i've noticed your pretty deadly with the graphics !! I see a career forming here
HotRoddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2002, 02:40 AM   #10
Metal396
Registered Member

hehe i was just screwin around in photoshop. ive been trying new stuff, including makin this pic ya see in my signature now, pretty cool eh?

Im still tryin to figure out a better way to try differnet pain jobs on cars and stuff though.. anybody know how to do it (easily and with it looking real)???

i like photography and art and stuff alot.. fun hobby..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spddemontc7.jpg (62.8 KB, 9 views)

Old 11-03-2002, 02:45 AM   #11
Metal396
Registered Member

OH HotRoddin... i just noticed your falcon.. ITS BEAUTIFUL!!!! check out my friend's 65 futura on my website: www.geocities.com/spddemontc/Paul

Thought u might like it. Its pretty fast too hehe.
and here is a custom pic i made of it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg customfalcon1.jpg (95.7 KB, 13 views)