MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-10-2007, 01:32 PM   #1
tonestarunner
Registered Member

Default vinyl top restoration

Hello, i recently bought a 66 coupe 6cyl 3 speed manual. The car still has a vinyl on (im assuming it's the original) It's not in the best shape, as there are bumps and a few tears in it and faded all in all. I would love to give her some body work and a paint job, but i first want to take care of the vinyl (whats a straight body and paint job worth when your vinyl top is old and torn up). I have seen vinyl materials and parts online and the nuts and molding pieces, yet i am looking for some expert (or any) opinions to whether i can pull this restoration off by myself (friends and me that is). Or if it is better to leave it to a shop to take care of it. I don't really want to remove the vinyl all together because i would have to get some more body work done on the top to remove the studs that are straight into the body, plus it would be taking away from its original shape. Again please if anyone can clue me in to a guide, or a site, or anything about restoring mustang vinyls let me know. Thanks!!!

- Tony
tonestarunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 08:45 AM   #2
Gearhead999
Registered Member

Default Re: vinyl top restoration

The "bumps" under the vinyl are probably "RUST".

The only way I know to repair a vinyl roof is to remove it, do what ever body work is being hidden by the cover and install a new top.

Really nothing for the faint of heart.

Dave
1968 Cougar
2004 Thunderbird
2007 F150 Harley-Davidson, SuperCrew
1986 LTD
1997 Ranger
1992 Honda Civic
Gearhead999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 03:02 PM   #3
tonestarunner
Registered Member

yeah, i definitely plan on removing it. There is for sure rust underneath. I just was curious whether or not it's too big of a job for me to do alone, figuring i can sand what i need to and apply what i need to taking care of the rust issues. Or should i just take it to the shop?
tonestarunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 05:04 PM   #4
bmxmon
Registered Member

If you have to repaint the car I would wait until then to replace the top, since you can strip it all down at once and prime the whole thing, no taping off or any of that kind of stuff. You can also decide if you want to keep the vinyl top or not at that time.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:57 PM   #5
JohnD302
Registered Member

I have a 68 mustang with a vinyl top with the same rust problems... when i do in fact have a body shop do all the work... is there any better than stock vinyl tops out there? like breathable ones or something that wont rust like the old one...

any thoughts?

thanks
JohnD302 is offline   Reply With Quote