View Single Post
Old 07-31-2003, 09:40 PM   #1
70hornet304
Registered Member

Unhappy a warning for all you classic owners

Hello, i'm new to this forum as of today although i've been reading for the past few months. but i finally decided to sign up because i figured i should help make people aware of some seriously dangerous things. As you might note from my name i own a 1970 AMC hornet with a 304 in it, new paint job, new mellowtones....all very nice. with one exception. yesterday as i was driving my girlfriend somewhere and we were late and i was driving a little over the speed limit due to an ******* showing off his trans-am doing at least 85 on a major road in the rain and i tried to keep up but i could just feel my tires spinning so i backed off and as i watched this trans-am fly through an intersection the light turned yellow and i knew i couldn't make it before it turned red so i hit the brakes. the problem with my car is that it has oooold manual brakes and whether you want to stop fast or you want to slow down you have to push hard. so i hit the brakes and they locked up. it pulled hard to the right and slid sideways i tried correcting it and over corrected spinning out in the oppisite direction lifting two wheels off the ground and almost flipping, when my car hit the whole curb going sideways at probably 50 miles an hour spinning my car twice and ending up backed into a telephone pole. i had come to a complete rest with absolutely no collision with the telephone pole. i looked at my girlfriend and she was alright so i put it in park, turned it off and got out. she looked at her side of the car real fast and i glanced at mine and we were amazed at how little damage had been done......until we realized my tire and about 90% of my vintage mag wheel was about 100 yards down the road and the other rear tire was at a 45 degree angle. my left muffle tip got crushed but the mufflers survived. i dont think i broke any axles and im not sure about what other damage is done until my uncle (my mechanic) can look it over better. but i ended up getting away with no ticket due to road conditions and my braking situation. and most importantly im still alive. but i want to warn everyone that even though my speed was a tad excessive for the road conditions, hydroplaning and brakes locking up and real lack of control thereafter are serious concerns so always take precaution when driving in the rain or at all times. thank you for anyone who listened to my looong rant. and i'm happy to be a member of the forums.
70hornet304 is offline   Reply With Quote