MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-03-2004, 09:07 PM   #1
bmxmon
Registered Member

Default and the weird noise from my engine would be??!??

I have a 65 mustang, with a 250 inline 6 with a 3spd tranny. About a week ago when i started it, it would make this weird noise. We thought it was the starter, since it was only happening when I started it. I just Put that in, and now found out it isnt that. I figured out it only happens when the clutch is in, or if you rev on the gas. Any ideas on what could be going on? Since it started making that noise, i havent been driving it, since i didnt feel like ruining my fly wheel. (i thought it was the starter) any ideas or thoughts would be great, thanks.
bmxmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 06:12 PM   #2
Rev
Registered Member

Default Throw out bearing?

My guess is that it's the throw out bearing. Clutch in puts pressure on the throw out bearing. Early start up, the bearing is cold. That's my diagnosis over the net.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 11:03 PM   #3
bmxmon
Registered Member

thanks, thats what one of my stepdads friends thought too. How much are those?? Do they just slide on and off or are they pressed in/out? Not exactly sure what part it really is, I am guessing the thing that connects the fork thing to the tranny. Would I be right? Do you think the guys at Napa would know what Im talking about if I ask for a Ford Three speed transmission throwout bearing?
bmxmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 04:30 PM   #4
Rev
Registered Member

Default Fork thing to clutch

The throw out bearing connects the fork to the clutch. Replacing it requires removal of the transmission. If it was me, I would put in a new clutch and resurface the flywheel while you have it apart. There's a fair amount of labor in this. Unless it's an extreme monetary crunch, I would do the clutch and flywheel while you hav it apart. Check the bushings in the clutch linkage too. They do wear out as well.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: