MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-27-2000, 08:55 PM   #1
RAINSTANG
Registered Member

Post Whadayuthink?

I'm new to this board & hope you'll hang with me. Been driving my 92GT for five years now. Thought about stepping up to a 2000 for the technology and all but after driving it thought it felt like any new car and choked on the price. Plan B is this; find a STRAIGHT, rust free 68 2+2, drop in a 302 crate motor (EFI) with mild mods & new T5. Do the suspension, paint & interior the way I want it and have a "new" stang that is way, way, way cooler than any 2000. Obviously I'm not concerned about owning a matching numbers car but have the resources and tech support to build something very, fast, dependable and classic. Any and all advice on what to look for or leads on a 68 2+2 Fastback (West Coast) would be greatly appreciated.
RAINSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2000, 08:26 AM   #2
Stefan
Registered Member

Thumbs up

I think you're on the right track. I like it when people have classics and actually drive them. I'm not knocking the garage crowd at all, I just like seeing the classics on the road. There are plenty of resources on this board to help you in your quest. Some weeks ago in this forum someone posted a website that listed a bunch of classic car classifieds. You might want to keep working backwards until you run across it. It seemed to be pretty informative.

Stefan

------------------
66 Standard coupe
200 inline 6 - Pertronix ignition, Flamethrower Coil, K&N, Clifford Perf. 6 into 2 headers, Holley carb, three row radiator

96 GT Convertible
Bosch Platinum +4 plugs, B&M Ripper
K&N, removed air silencer, Tokico non-adjustable struts/ shocks (more to come)
Next up: 3:73's and side exhaust
www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/moi-display.cgi?258
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2000, 12:30 PM   #3
John Z
Registered Member

Check the classified section at http://users.ntplx.net/~link/VMF/
Since gone in 60 sec the prices of fastbacks has flashed up, near convertible prices.
Be sure to get a v8 car eventhough you're planning on changing engines and transmission. Also need v8 rear end and suspension and brakes.
Good luck.
John Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2000, 04:40 PM   #4
Gearhead999
Registered Member

Do get a V-8 car. You'll be sorry if you get a 6 cyl. car. Way to much to change to make it into a V-8.

Lots of 67-68 FB's out there. Parts are pretty easy to come by too. Headlamp buckets are expensive and so are rear 1/4 extensions. Rear glass should have a line in it from the peak in the roof to the peak on the decklid too.

Good looking cars too.

------------------
Dave Pitt
68 FB, 289
Dual AFB's
Gearhead999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2000, 10:45 PM   #5
Ron1
Registered Member

Since you are in Portland you might call a guy named Del at Del Pro Specialties in Vancouver WA...He does nothing but 64 1/2 and 73' and usually has cars for sale. Its worth a try. 360-892-1177..

Ron
Ron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2000, 04:23 PM   #6
Rev
Registered Member

Hey Rain, don't want to rain on the parade, but we are talking major expense with LESS DEPENDIBILITY almost no matter how well it's done. If this is a hobby type project, you'll be really happy with this. If you expect "new car" performance and reliability from the updated restomod, then consider this carefully. I've replaced lots of "new" parts in my '66 in less than 25,000 miles. Don't get me wrong, I love it. I also work on it every weekend almost. Fortunately, I have other cars for everyday reliability. My $.02.

Rev

------------------
'66 Coupe, 306, windage
tray, TRW flat tops, 351W
heads,pocket ported, 268
CC hydraulic cam, R tip
R's, Edelbrock Performer,
600 CFM Holley vac. secs.,
Mallory Unilite, coil, fuel
pump, Tri-Y headers, 2 1/2 "
custom pipes, 3 chamber
Flows, stock C-4, 3.25
Currie built 8" rear,
March under drive pulleys,
13.97 e.t., 100.1 mph
1/4 mi.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2000, 06:44 PM   #7
Maxout
Registered Member

Hey, Rainstang,
I am currently I the midst of doing something very similar to my '65 Coupe to what you intend to do to you '68. I am taking my time and plan on having it back on the road spring '01 with new paint, suspention, brakes, steering, engine and interior work. I am staring a $4000 to $5000 restomod right in the hip pocket but I can tell you, I think it will be worth every penny. I have no illusions of getting my money back except in the form of satisfaction, thrills and looks from babes. But just to see these cars on the road and know there are people who care enough not to let money stop them is very gratifying. I say do it! And post pics! Good luck.

------------------
'65 Coupe,289,C4
Maxout is offline   Reply With Quote