MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-12-2002, 01:16 AM   #1
66StangGuy
Registered Member

Angry what caused all this?

Recently installed an electric fan so i took the old one off and re installed the pulley. Also put 91 octane gas in the car. re adjusted the timing and everything.. ran ok for a while..i think i had bad gas. anyway ran it out and bought 87 again. reset the timing for it and have ben running that. now for some reason i get a popping and banging out the exhause most when its cold but still occurs when the car is warm. With out the old fan the car does run warmer. could this be causing it? used to run at 160 all the time hot or cold out. cooling worked great. now with the electric it runs at around 180 depends if im driving or not. what causes this poping and banging and i though it was an ignition thing but i dont think so.. iv checked everything and i have magnetic pickup so dont think its that. iv checked everything else that would be ovious. ill try new plugs and wires this weekend but i still dought thats it. any ideas to try. the poping is only out the exhause and only around 2000 - 3000 rpm. checked the carb and its fine. someone have ideas? i cant think of anything else..
ill keep messing with it this week and let you know what i come up with.
Old 11-12-2002, 10:18 AM   #2
Clark Rodgers
Registered Member

I guess the big question is was this doing this before the fan change? Or did this just start happening on it's own?

The next thing I would try is sticking some 93 octane in there and see if it makes a difference. Running at different temperatures could have some effect, you might look and see how the plugs look.
Old 11-16-2002, 01:28 AM   #3
The Deuce
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Clark Rodgers
I guess the big question is was this doing this before the fan change? Or did this just start happening on it's own?

The next thing I would try is sticking some 93 octane in there and see if it makes a difference. Running at different temperatures could have some effect, you might look and see how the plugs look.
We can't get 93 out here. I would look at your rotor, as it sounds like something going on when you were messing with the timing. Dwell, or something could be screwed. That might give you a problem in a window or rpm.

I could be talking out my arse though, as I have yet to rip into an old dist.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 02:03 AM   #4
Ron1
Registered Member

This is a timing issue. Pull out a couple of degrees and try that, if better pull out a couple more. If that doesn't work go in the opposite direction.

Ron
Ron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 04:16 PM   #5
hobgoblin351
Registered Member

I agree with ron, definately a timing issue. 180* is where it should be running in the first place. How old is the distributer? You're not running any kind of aftermarket ignition? MSD or something like that. If all else fails pull the dis. and give it an overhaul. I had a friend, who's truck could never stay timed. It ended up that the pin holding ion the distributer gear was shot and the dis. would spin under heavy use. We kept retiming, and were banging our heads until we pulled it redid it. Good luck
hobgoblin351 is offline   Reply With Quote