MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-15-2004, 09:39 AM   #1
KiltedBanshees93GT
Registered Member

Default What else could this be?!?!

I just got my car back today from the shop after paying to have the rear bearings replaced. They had been making a really ugly grinding-grunking sound after the car had been driven a few miles, especially at low speed around corners, along with a low pitched rumbling/whirring at speed while going straight. The grunking almost reminded me of a rubbing sound when cornering.
Anyway, I got the car back today, and it feels much tighter, and the at speed rumbling/whirring is gone, but it is still making the "grunking" during turning, (the slower and or sharper the louder). What the hell else could this be? Is the rear end going to pop? The only other thing I can think of other than the pumpkin getting ready to go would be that the slave cylinders on the rear are leaking. Could the brake fluid getting in the drums cause this noise?
I dont know which way to jump with this. I dont want to drive it until the car craps, but right now shes my main transport. I am planning on doing the rear brakes this weekend, but dont see how that could be the problem, especially considering that coming into my neighborhood, I stayed off the brakes, and the noise continued.
Help! Somebody!

J
Rice Haters Club Member #239

"I find your lack of faith...disturbing."

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken
KiltedBanshees93GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 07:19 PM   #2
Rev
Registered Member

Default Friction modifier?

Sounds like to me that you have a limited slip rear axle. These may have clutches as in the Ford Traction-Lock. They could have preloaded clutches that allow some slippage around corners. With these axles , if you don't have "Friction Modifier" in the rear end oil, you will get that clunking, grinding noise when cornering. Usually described as "chatter".

Fortunately, it's an easy fix. Just go down to your friendly Ford dealer and ask for friction modifier. Add the 6 0z. bottle for $10 to the rear axle oil , run it around tight corners right and left for 10 minutes and all should be fixed.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe

Last edited by Rev; 04-16-2004 at 08:04 PM..
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 09:31 AM   #3
KiltedBanshees93GT
Registered Member

Does modifier go bad? the car didnt do this when I first got it, and the noise started fairly faint, and has grown louder over the last couple of months, after driving the same distance.

Thanks
Jorge
Rice Haters Club Member #239

"I find your lack of faith...disturbing."

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken
KiltedBanshees93GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 05:35 PM   #4
Rev
Registered Member

Default Rear bearing change?

When the rear bearings are changed, some oil is lost from the rear end and must be replaced. Possibly, the oil was changed entirely by the shop when they did the bearings. At any rate, the "Friction Modifier" is worth a shot for only about $10.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: