MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-20-2006, 03:27 PM   #1
Moonstang
Moon Equepted

Default What the F

Why on earth wont the distributor go in? There's a small rod at the bottom of the hole that I'm guessing fits into the shaft of the distributor. Well said rod is leaning against the side of the opening and wont slip in. I thought if I raised the back of the car it would allow the rod to fall forward a bit but no luck. I'm stumped. Any tricks? Can I grease up the end of the distributor shaft? What exactly is that rod and where does it go/what does it do? Can I get to it from the bottom? Man I wish I had a real shop manual and a parts book. My chilton book really isn't helping much.

Help me Obi Won Kenobi, you're my only hope.

MoonStang
Moonstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 08:26 PM   #2
red
Registered Member

Default Re: What the F

That's the oil pump drive shaft. I usually end up wedging it in the distributor, pulling up, and dropping the shaft into the oil pan. Then you have to take the oil pan off. I have never figured out a good way to get it back together. Hopefully someone will add some words of wisdom. I believe there is some kind of retainer clip that keeps the shaft connected to the distributor. But I don't think anyone ever installs the clip.
red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 08:58 PM   #3
okiedragster
Drag Racer and Mach1 Addict

yea there is a clip that goes on the pump shaft that keeps it from droping in the pan, the clip is designed to slip on the shaft one way and wont come off the other end of the shaft...on the link i posted ,click on the pic to get a larger pic, this isnt stock but it will give you a idea of what goes on the shaft...
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

My 71 Mach 1
okiedragster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 05:07 AM   #4
Moonstang
Moon Equepted

Thanx for the input y'all. After a trip to Mustang Bros. today and a very long talk w/ his ace mechanic, (and the purchase of the factory shop manual) I think I got it figured out. Basicly whoever installed the last oil pump drive shaft DID install the clip BUT he installed the shaft upside down. One side is flat and the other side has about a 1/4" tapper allowing for easier alignment. Before i drop the oil pan, the ace said to try 2 things. 1st, using a 1/4" deep socket and a long extention, Fit the socket over the end of the drive shaft and try to turn the shaft a bit to change its position. 2nd. forget about aligning the distibutor w/ my marks. turn the crank by hand 1 full rotation. This will turn the oil pump drive shaft and change its position. But then I have to retime it. If that doesn't work. It's the old fashioned way and I drop the pan.
Good Times!
MoonStang
Moonstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 01:33 PM   #5
Dark Knight
Registered Member

Just line it up where you want, and bump the engine over with the starter. It'll drop right in, done that a bunch of times with no prob. That happens alot with the hex drive.
13.58@102.84 and a '68 stang .. project 8 sec street car... 557 big block + N20 :-)
http://members.cox.net/darkknight302/68nwrear.jpg
Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 08:58 AM   #6
Gearhead999
Registered Member

Common problem. You can try greasing the end of the dist. It may help.

Turn the oil pump shaft with a socket and long extension, just don't drop the socket in the engine. It will stick on the shaft and the extension will come off and socket into the pan. [Don't ask how I know this happens]

Easiest is to do as Dark Knight said. It will fall right in. You're going to time the engine anyway, after you get it running.

Happy Thanksgiving

Dave
1968 Cougar
2004 Thunderbird
2007 F150 Harley-Davidson, SuperCrew
1986 LTD
1997 Ranger
1992 Honda Civic
Gearhead999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 12:13 PM   #7
Rev
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight
Just line it up where you want, and bump the engine over with the starter. It'll drop right in, done that a bunch of times with no prob. That happens alot with the hex drive.
That's what I have to do every time I reinstall the distributor.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote