MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-05-2000, 02:24 PM   #1
David Trimble
Registered Member

Question What to look for in a '69 Mach I

Hi-

I'm going to look at a '69 Mustang Mach I this weekend, and I wanted to ask if anyone out there could give me tips/ideas on what to look for on the car. I understand that the body has been redone, but it's also sat for at least a few years (if not several) so I'm afraid the drivetrain seals and tires might've suffered because of this.

Any ideas would be appreciated- thanks in advance!
David Trimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2000, 09:03 AM   #2
Clark Rodgers
Registered Member

David,
Try and find a magnet or one of those body magnets that measure bondo depth without scratching the paint. You said the body has been redone so it will be hard to figure out how much filler has been used.

Having a 69 look hard underneath the car for solid floor pans and rear quarter panels. Take a look at the trunk area behind each wheel well and the tail light panel around the lights, rust can be a major cost item.

You will be surprised how well seals hold up over time in the drivetrain, Check all the fluids to see if there is any rust or water in them. Make sure you operate EVERYTHING to see what works or doesn't, remember the mechanical stuff is Fairly easy to fix.

------------------
69 351W Sportsroof deluxe
Clark Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2000, 01:19 PM   #3
David Trimble
Registered Member

Thanks, Clark! One other question, tho- how easy/hard is it to find parts for '69 Mach Is?
David Trimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2000, 09:18 AM   #4
Clark Rodgers
Registered Member

Sorry David for not responding sooner but have been tied up this week. It all depends on what you need, alot of parts are being reproduced but some are not. A prime example is the Dash Pad, they are not being reproduced yet and have gone for at least $600.00 . Give me some idea of what you will need but overall they are not too hard to find.

------------------
69 351W Sportsroof deluxe
Clark Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2000, 02:03 PM   #5
j's69stang
Registered Member

I have got a 69 mustang coupe and parts arent really that hard to find. Reproduction parts suck as fenders and hoods arent really that good so you would do better to find original body parts, but interior repro parts fit good and look almost exactly alike. You can get a repro dash pad for 350 bucks now and they look pretty good. Just get a mustangs unlimited mag or call your local classic mustang place and ask which place has good parts. But overall its really not that bad.

69 mustang coupe
grabber blue
stock 302-4v basically, c-4
j's69stang is offline   Reply With Quote