MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-01-2003, 06:59 PM   #1
bigbandjohn
Registered Member

Default What should I save on a restore?

Hi again.

I was just wondering, since I am doing a restore right now - what original parts should I save from my 66 Mustang? I figure a rusty fuel tank, dead brakes, and a bad fuel pump can be gotten rid of. But what about the interior? Do I save the original split front seat cover? (the bucket seat has a rip in it) The cracked dash panel? the shredded armrest from the door? If I upgrade the dash, I plan on savng the gauges.

The car was stock turqouise interior. Is it worth upgrading to Pony interior since I need to redo it anyway?

Thanks again for all your help. I really enjoy this forum and I plan to enjoy my 66 real soon! My 96 will be so happy to have it's older sibling around!
bigbandjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 03:55 PM   #2
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

Keep whats good id say.

Id also stay with the original color and type of coverings. I never did like Pony interior, costs alot more too.

I got a set of door handles in that light tourquise color. If you want them come get them I think their plastic chrome looking things. The padding is great, plastic may be scratched a little.

Brakes need to be upgraded. This not only makes it safer, but alot more fun to drive.
Old 01-02-2003, 05:09 PM   #3
Jeff65
Registered Member

Here's what I did...disassembled the car to get to the unibody for restoration. All parts were cataloged and shelved. All fasteners were identified bagged and sorted. This was the most painful process since Ford drawings called out part numbers of fasteners and not descriptions. In any case, I bagged and tagged them and as I got a sufficiently large group of them I took them to a plating shop for replating. This meant understanding what each fastener was for BEFORE dumping them into a common container, then waiting a week to get the parts back. Where there was any question I referred to notes made before the trip to the platers. As I rebagged the newly plated fasteners, I identified those needing replacement and discarded them for similar grade fasteners obtained from local hardware and bolt supply stores. As each assembly needed installation, I had the rebuilt assembly and the fasteners for it. Any assembly needing refirbishment got it before it was reinstalled on the finished unibody. All wiring was pre-tested before it went back on the car and everything was rechecked after it was connected. I only had to troubleshoot the dome lamp circuit when the wiring went back in. Everything except it worked as it was supposed to. The dome lamp short was found in the rear fastback interior quarter where I had inadvertently folded over a wire within the lamp socket. It was hard to find but easy to correct.
Jeff65 is offline   Reply With Quote