MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-27-2003, 12:44 PM   #1
David Fulford
Registered Member

Default What things to check next

I'm not expecting any miracles, but a few probable culprits would be appreciated. The front end on my stang has been torn apart for a while pending funds to finish my granada brake swap. I have been starting it about once a week ever since I tore it apart. Then all of a sudden it started running real crappy the last time I started it until it finally died and now won't re-start. I'm getting gas to the carb, spark to the distributor, and the plugs look OK. I also checked spark to cylinders 1 and 2 and I'm getting spark there. I have an MSD 6AL with MSD distributor on a 302 crate motor. I did all the basic gas and spark checks so I would like some direction on where to go from here. I was thinking either the MSD box is bad or the timing chain malfunctioned the last time I started it. Any help would be great.

Oh yeah, it did backfire the last time I started it so could it possibly be damage to the carb.
1969 fast back; yellow; weld wheels; 302 roller with GT-40 heads; 3:55 gears; 5spd T-5; MSD 6AL; E-303; flows; Hedman headers; Holley 600;Weiand Accelerator;1.6 rockers
David Fulford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 08:57 AM   #2
KiltedBanshees93GT
Registered Member

Silly question, but how long has it been apart? could the gas have gone south?
Rice Haters Club Member #239

"I find your lack of faith...disturbing."

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken
KiltedBanshees93GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 12:03 PM   #3
David Fulford
Registered Member

It's been sitting in my garage for about 2 years with the same tank of gas in it. Haven't had the money to insure it or really play with it in a while. So I bet that could be it. Although I know it could be about 100 different things. Being a 69 with no electronics or anything, I always thought if you have gas dripping in the carb and spark at the end of the spark plug wire, the damn thing should start. The motor in it only has about 3500 miles on it so I don't think it's internal to the motor. Do plugs go bad over time? I think I will replace cap, rotor, and plugs just for the hell of it and see what happens. Thanks for the reply. I think I will put some new gas in it and see if the new gas mixed with the old will help anything.
1969 fast back; yellow; weld wheels; 302 roller with GT-40 heads; 3:55 gears; 5spd T-5; MSD 6AL; E-303; flows; Hedman headers; Holley 600;Weiand Accelerator;1.6 rockers
Old 08-29-2003, 07:06 AM   #4
KiltedBanshees93GT
Registered Member

Couldnt you also put fresh fuel in the bowls too? And I dont think plugs can go bad, but I could be wrong.

J
Rice Haters Club Member #239

"I find your lack of faith...disturbing."

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken
KiltedBanshees93GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 03:17 PM   #5
Rev
Registered Member

Default Ignition box?

The first thing I would do is disconnect the ignition box and revert it to original configuration. See if it starts and runs then? If it does, you will know it's the box.

My Mallory HiFire 6-AL has failed twice. Left me sitting on the side of the road each time. I sent it back the first time under warranty and they fixed it. This second time, I just took it off and left it off. I don't want something that undependable on my car.

I was thinking of getting a MSD 6-AL as I thought the MSD was probably better as they are the industry leader. Let me know if it was the box. I'll be disappointed if it's the MSD box.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 04:39 PM   #6
David Fulford
Registered Member

I'll try that REV, thanks.