MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-04-2002, 09:19 AM   #1
Lightspeed
Registered Member

Default wheels?

i know im probly gonna sound stupid asking this question but everyone here talks about putting 8 inch wide wheels on their stangs....well i have some 8 inch wide wheels on mine and the tires stick out past the fenders just enough to where they scrub if i hit a bump too hard, the wheels on there now seem to have a deeper outer dish than most wheels i see, i was wondering what the technical name for this was, if there is one at all? im hoping someone can decipher my lack of intellect and help me out on this, the wheels on there now are cragar ss's and im pretty sure if i can find a wheel that sets in further that my tires wont scrub anymore but im not sure if there is any measurements on the wheel itself to help me accomplish finding the right wheel. id appreciate anyones input on this issue, thanks
Lightspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2002, 04:29 PM   #2
JAG289
Registered Member

Default Thats exactly what my concern was...

The term you are looking for is "backspacing" which is the depth of the back of the wheel IN to the center where it bolts up. Sounds like you need a deeper backspacing to solve your problem, I think an average back spacing is around 3.5 to 4 inches. I too am looking to find what back spacing to get on my wheels, do you know the depth of yours so I know what not to get? And heres a quesion for ya, what size tires are you runnin on those rims? I could really use the info...
JAG289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2002, 08:56 AM   #3
red
Registered Member

This site should help
http://www.classic-mustang.net/jay/shelby/wheels.html

-JON
red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2002, 10:49 PM   #4
Lightspeed
Registered Member

im running 14x 8 or 8.5s and im not sure of the backspacing but that chart that red provided (very very much appreciated , thanks red) indicated that i need to drop to a 14x7 with 4.00 inch backspacing...im running 235s on the back and according to that chart they should fit perfect with some 14x7s with 4.00 inch backspacing
Old 05-05-2002, 10:51 PM   #5
Lightspeed
Registered Member

okay well i saw where my mixup was, i thought backspacing referred to the lug pattern spacing....so if backspacing is how deep the dish is....whats the name for the bolt pattern size? or is bolt pattern size the name itself?
Old 05-14-2002, 10:07 PM   #6
J&MStang
Registered Member

Backspacing is measured on the front side of the wheel. Lay the wheel on the floor face up. Put a yardstick across the wheel. Use a tape measure and measure from the center of one of the bolt holes directly up to the yardstick...that is backspacing.
J&MStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 10:10 PM   #7
J&MStang
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lightspeed
okay well i saw where my mixup was, i thought backspacing referred to the lug pattern spacing....so if backspacing is how deep the dish is....whats the name for the bolt pattern size? or is bolt pattern size the name itself?
The word you're looking for is "bolt circle". Bolt circle is measured from the center of one wheel bolt to the farthest edge of the opposite wheel bolt, i.e. from one, skip one then measure the next.

See http://www.wheelvintiques.com/measure.html
J&MStang is offline   Reply With Quote