MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-14-2000, 08:12 PM   #1
Giddy Up
Registered Member

Question Who out there has 16" or larger rims that don't rub?

I've got a '68 coupe that I plan to install 16" or 17" Torque Thrusts or Vintage 45's on. I'm just wondering who has these rims on their cars or rims with the same dimensions. Do they fit without rubbing? I drive the car daily and show it yearly so take that into account. Thanks for any respones given.

------------------
1968 Fuel Injected Mustang Coupe
Giddy Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2000, 09:26 PM   #2
Gearhead999
Registered Member

I have a 68 with 15" Torque thrust's. I will get rubbing on the front if the wheels are turned and I'm turning in to a drive alittle fast. Also, rear if I hit a large dip in road. P235/60/15 tires.

You say FI tell me more. I have 289 with dual AFB's. I have a 426 stroked 351W that I'm going to install and would like to FI it.
Gearhead999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2000, 10:21 PM   #3
Shaggy
Registered Member

I have a customers car with 17x9 cobra r's with 275/40/17's on it and no rub except for the frame rail on lock to lock turns...I did make a billet spacer for them though so the offset is "perfect" BTW he road races with the spacers on as well so before you cringe on the spacer idea if they are made so the fit over your hub like a rim does and have only the bolt pattern you are running they are plenty strong.

Gear head if you want to FI that big a motor go to Here for the intake that will feed that much motor it will allow you to use all the stock sensors and computer for a baseline and them get the PMS unit from anderson motorsport to have full control off of you injection....I have priced what I want/need for mine with me doing the labor and it comes out to roughly this price for the non common items like injectors, sensors, eec-iv, throttle body and harness(you can use the street rod harness from motorsport or make your own).I am making my own harness and buying the rest from my suppliers (it wouldn't be fair to post those prices)because they are regular items to be found in the back of any mustang mag.

PMS 800
interacq data acquistion software 300
elbow for my existing victor 170

[This message has been edited by Shaggy (edited 11-14-2000).]
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2000, 05:18 PM   #4
kdog
Registered Member

Shaggy - do you have a picture of that car with the 17x9's? Those tires sound awfully big for the tiny rear wheelwells on a '68. I'd love to see how they look as I've considered them for my car, but figured they wouldn't fit.
kdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2000, 09:20 AM   #5
Shaggy
Registered Member

Sorry I don't have pics of that car but i can get some next time He brings it in...I should be able to get some this week he is supposed to bring it in.
Old 11-16-2000, 05:55 PM   #6
Billgear
Registered Member

I got my 17's from Mustangs Plus in California. They have alot of knowlege
about what fits what. Here's there
webpage http://www.mustangsplus.com/

Regards,
BillGear www.289mustang.com
Billgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2000, 06:52 PM   #7
Giddy Up
Registered Member

Question

Shaggy,

What did you make the spacers out of and did you balance them? Also did you have to use longer wheel studs?

Thanks for the reply's everyone =)

------------------
Old 11-16-2000, 08:06 PM   #8
Shaggy
Registered Member

I made them out of a solid block of aluminum.I have access to the equipment I just bought solid aluminum bar stock cut it the thickness I needed (.85 if I remember correctly)milled out the center and drilled the holes for the lugs out.Yes the way I made mine I needed longer studs you can make them so they bolt to the car though and you have studs through them but I don't think that would be as strong besides with the long studs the little bit of 1/4 mile use he does when he bolts the 15" slicks on he passes tech because the 15's don't use the spacers.

P.S. I forgot to mention though on the front I had to remove the sheetmetal piece that holds the suspension stop bumber to get the neccisarry inner fender clearence.
Old 11-16-2000, 08:15 PM   #9
Giddy Up
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Thanks Shaggy,...Hey, now I sound like Scooby Doo!

------------------