MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-01-2005, 02:54 PM   #1
trndkll67
Registered Member

Default Window Regulator Roller Problem, Arghh!!!

So, Ive got my window regulator problem figured out. I'll try to illustrate the picture in words, bare with me: There are three rollers that hold these guys in. One fits inside the short detachable track on the inside of the door cavity. Two of them fit inside the track that is part of the window glass frame(one fore and one aft). The "aft" (rear) roller is out of it's track. How in the hell do you get that thing back in without removing the whole regulator? Also, I know these rollers are supposed to have retaining clips on them. I dont think mine do. Instead the roller axles are inserted through the eyelet on the regulator arms and are flared on the other side to hold them in. There is a ford part number on the regulator, so I know it is a stock part, but I have yet to find anyone who has this setup. Anyways, any help on "quickly" getting this roller back in its track would be appreciated and repayable by beer. :-)

Thanks Guys/gals.
trndkll67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 08:30 PM   #2
Elvis
Registered Member

Default Re: Window Regulator Roller Problem, Arghh!!!

I am replying not with a solution but with a show of support. Several years ago when I got my '67 one of the first things that I replaced was the driver's side window regulator. I am not mechanically inclined but I was/am determined to learn and to try to do as much as possible on my own. Well, I wrestled with that SOB for days. The language coming from my driveway has the neighbors staying clear to this day and my hands were like raw hamburger. I do not recall how I did it but after several days and trying every variation of window up - window down - in-between, I finally did it. Persevere, my friend. If I can do it anyone can. Trust me. E.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 09:07 AM   #3
Kisner
Registered Member

It's also been way too long since I did mine too, but if I remember correctly, I had to remove the window stops (one on each side) and that allows the window to go higher and then you can remove (or insert) the rollers back in the tracks. To remove the window stop closest to the front of the car, you'll have to roll the window up or down so it'll be visible through the small round cutout. For the one near the door jam, I believe I had to remove the rubber cover (or whatever you technically call it) at the top inside of the door and you'll see the bolt holding it in. Keep in mind the one near the front of the car is a royal pain in the butt to put back in.
Kisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 02:38 PM   #4
kgn
Registered Member

I just did mine the other day.I held the glass up with a block of wood and put the roller in the slot then moved the regulator to line up the roller and the shaft then pushed the shaft into the roller. slipped the spring clip into the slot in the roller making sure it pushed into the slot on the shaft...very easy for my install hope so for yours
kgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 02:48 PM   #5
trndkll67
Registered Member

Thanks kgn. But I'm not sure I need retaining clips since my roller axles are flared. My question is 'how do it get the roller into its track without having to take the roller off'.

'ppreciate it.
trndkll67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 03:11 PM   #6
kgn
Registered Member

If its flared then you would have to file or grind the flare off to replace the the roller..I can't think that ford would do that to you.There must be a clip on the roller..maybe that you can't feel of see because of grease. Mine were caked but were there up close to the regulator arm
kgn is offline   Reply With Quote