MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Classic Mustangs (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Front End Wobble (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=42291)

orlowted 04-04-2004 06:24 PM

Front End Wobble

Hello all...I have posted my problem about the front end wobbling when I apply the brakes. I am happy to report that because of all the suspension upgrades (rear anti sway bar, subframe connectors, traction bars) that the rear is doing fine and the car rocks....Problem is that it moves so fast and so nice (true to the road) that when I apply the brakes it just starts to shake in the front end. I have added new Upper and Lower control arms, new drum brakes and most of the front suspension is New. I am gasping for air here....I just purchased new 1" lowering springs for the front and while I am at that task - I want to eliminate the wobble. Here is my thought. Spindles seem OK - Brakes are tight and rest of suspension seems really good....What about the Inner and Outer Bearings????? They are from the donor car. Do you think they could be letting the front end wobble? I am going to get new ones just to rule out the possibility. I just do not know where to go from here. Any suggestions would be really appreceiated.

TJ

orlowted 04-10-2004 06:23 PM

Nope - Didn't fix it...

Well - I replaced the bearings in both wheels...What fun, but it did not fix the wobble. Car runs straighter though so it was not a waste of time...Front end seems tighter. I have front drum brakes and the one drum on the passenger side has a chunk about 1/2 deep and about an inch long missing from the inner part. Does anyone think this might be causing the wobble when the brakes are applied. I am running out of Ideas and parts to replace (except the Disk Upgrade)...
TJ

KiltedBanshees93GT 04-11-2004 05:29 AM

Does it seem to pull more in the direction of the side with the missing chunk?
Have you tried getting the front end off the ground and then pulling/shaking the tires both up/down and left/right to see if theres any play in the suspension?
Just an idea, I'm guessing here:confused:

J

orlowted 04-11-2004 07:18 AM

I Tried the basics.

I wish it pulled - then I would have a place to start....Drives straight as can be. When I brake - I am not sure if it favors one side, It wobbles so much that I didn't want to let go of the wheel. I will give that a try and see if it does go to one side...Thanks!

I have had the car up in the air about 10 times pulling, yanking, shaking just about every peice under there. Everything seems tight. I am at the point where I am going to get a wireless camera and tape it to the bumper so I can actually see ehat is going on. I even had my mechanic look at the suspension, brakes and tires and he said everything is as it should be. Disk brakes are in the future, but not till this winter and I wanted to get some pleasure driving out of the car before winter comes. Thanks for the suggestions...I just might try the camera if I can find one...I also might replace the drum if I can gind a good used one here...
TJ

forease 04-11-2004 08:34 AM

How is the control valve ball stud?

orlowted 04-11-2004 03:24 PM

I think it is OK

When I replaced the power steering with the manual kit - it seemed OK. Is there a way to check it???

orlowted 04-14-2004 02:23 PM

Problem Solved

Just wanted to update anyone that may be having a similar problem....Just had the drum brakes turned...Problem is Gone - Works like a dream now.
TJ