MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-04-2001, 10:29 PM   #1
1quiksteed
Registered Member

Post NEED HELP BEFORE I PUT WRENCH THOUGH WINDSHIELD!!

Ok, I'm at my end with this unless someone can help me out here!
I just finished installing the following on my 1995GT..
TFS heads
TFS Track Heat
TFS stage 1
#24 injectors
C&L 73mm MAS
Walbro 255lph pump

Here's my problem that I just can't seem to fix. I'll break it down.

1) surging idle
2) hesitation and bucking while at part throttle
3) using a a lot of gas
4) ticking of my rockers ( I know I need to tighten them)

Here's what I've tried with little sucess....

1) Cleaned out IABS and drilled a hole in the throttle plate. (This helped a bit)
2) set my TPS to .97
3) cleaned all my connections and put in dielectric grease in them. (helped)
4) made sure the dist. wasn't off a tooth and I don't think it is.
5) set timming to 10* with spout out
6) check vac. lines and they seem ok.
PCV valve and the screen underneath are clean.
7) gapped sparkplugs to .045" made sure the wires were on good and none of them are crossed or touching.
8)rotated the C&L and noticed the idle would improve in certain spots and poor in others. I have it set at a good spot though my rotation is restricted by the wiring harness.

ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS????? I'M GOING TO THROW MY WRENCH THOUGH THE WINDSHIELD IF I CAN'T GET THIS CAR RUNNING TOMORROW!!!!!

PLEASE HELP!!

Thanks

------------------
1quiksteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2001, 10:39 PM   #2
JRowlette
Registered Member

I am no expert, but did you check your fuel pressure, it should be around 40psi. Also, check on corral.net's message forums, I saw a guy with a post on how to correct idle problems. I can't remember what he said. There is like a hundred or so replies to it so it shouldn't be hard to find.
I totally understand your frustration, man. I haven't even been able to get my 'stang to start for the past 10 days, and it's driving me up the wall. I feel like taking a baseball bat to it every time I replace something and it still doesn't work. Good luck.
JRowlette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2001, 10:43 PM   #3
90dpscoupe
Registered Member

I would gap plugs at .52, although that shouldnt cause that kind of drivability, i had mine gapped at 40-something one time, and it idleded like chit, and got bad gas mileage.

------------------
90 lx coupe: 175k miles, steeda water pump pully, hurst shifter, Mac cold air fenderwell, accel supercoil, ADS chip, aluminum D/S, Black magic fan, 3.27grs.
Best time: 13.9116(on 225/60/15 firehawks)
Best mph: 98.17
Best 60': 1.9607

next mods: subframes, mac h-pipe
90dpscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2001, 10:50 PM   #4
withamc
Registered Member

Here's a couple more things to look at:
Is your C&L calibrated for 24# injectors?
With 24# injectors you might want to set your fuel pressure down around 35 PSI with no vacuum.
Try pulling the plug off your IAB, setting the idle at about 750 RPM, set your TPS and re-connect the IAB.
What kinda vacuum do you have at idle?
Also get a tester and see if you get O2 sensor errors.

[This message has been edited by withamc (edited 06-04-2001).]
withamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2001, 12:28 AM   #5
Capri306

I agree with withamc on this one. The fuel pressure and/or regulator should be first looked at if you're having this kind of problem. 35 would be a good place to start with pressure....you did get an adjustable regulator, didn't you? And the gauge to check it?

I think you may have accidentally been stuck with a MAF for 19 pounders, too. To be sure it's a fuel problem (caused by an incorrect MAF and wrong fuel pressure), read your plugs. You may want to cruise on over to the idle reset procedure on corral.net (?). Did you reset the computer by disconnecting the battery for 5+ minutes? Good luck.

------------------
Capri306, Moderator, The Mustang Works Online
1979 Mercury Capri, 5.0L -- C4 -- 2.73
1987 Mustang LX Notch
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2001, 07:41 AM   #6
Jeff Chambers

COMPUTER! The 94-95 computer has got to be the most finicky thing I've ever seen. You may have to contact someone like Steeda to get an ECM that will compensate for your changes. I say Steeda only because they're currently selling reprogrammed ECMs rather than just chips. Get on the horn with them and I think you'll quickly understand the problem.

------------------
Jeff Chambers
Trophy Stock #3
11.611 Seconds / 116.7 MPH
Chambers Racing Team
Jeff Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2001, 10:40 AM   #7
1quiksteed
Registered Member

Thanks guys for the responses. I'll try to answer each of you separately.

JRowlette, no I didn't check my fuel pressure. I have an AFPR in the mail and I have a gauge for the "shraider valve" (sp?) I did see that post about how to correct idle. He says thats for Fox cars and mine is a 95GT. I'm still going togo through even more conncetors and see what happens. Good luck with your car!

90dpscoupe, I had my plugs gapped to .050" and the car ran like crap and one plug wasn't firing. I checked all my wires and gapped my plugs down to .045 and it helped a bit. Could this mean an ignition problem?

withamc, good point about the C&L. I bought it used but it had been hardly used. It came in the original box stating #24 calibration and the air tube was painted blue on the backside. I was told blue was for #24s? I did the TPS and IABS yesterday with a bit of improvement. I don't know how much vacumn I have because I don't have a guage but I'll see if I can get one.

jeff chambers, I have an EEC Tuner here at my disposal if I decide so, but I didn't want to try it until the car ran good. Once it does that I'll fool with the computer.

1quiksteed is offline   Reply With Quote