MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-03-2004, 05:47 PM   #1
bmxmon
Registered Member

Default engine swapping questions

I just bought a 302 (that is out of a 79 ford truck) that I am going to stick in my 65, which was originally equiped with a six. I know there is alot to it, springs, rear axle, bla bla bla, but I have most of that covered. Here are the questions i have

1: Will my 3spd tranny bell housing bolt up to the 302?

2: What size radiator did they have on 289 1965 mustangs? (Im guessing that i will need a new radiator)

3: "Will i be able to transfer" my fly wheel from the six to the 302?

4: " " my clutch/pressure plate?

5: My distributor (the 302's) has 3 wires comming out of it, and i dont know what they are for, can i switch over to a single wire distributor?

6: What headers will fit a 302 in a 65 stang with a manual tranny? (they all seem to say auto tranny)

7: The carb on the 302 has electric choke, will i be able to hook this up or should I get a new carb with a manual choke?

8: How will the gas pedal linkage hook up, or should i get a flexible gas pedal cable? (do they make them?)

9: I would like to get rid of all the vacum lines that i can, what is the best way to go about doing this?
bmxmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 06:54 AM   #2
orlowted
Registered Member

Default What little I know

Hello - I went through the same thing with my car. It was a original 6 cylinder. Here is what I remember...

1. 3 speed will probably not bolt up (not sure) but I would recommend getting a 4 speed. You are going to rev pretty high on the highway iwth a 3 speed. A 4 speed can be found cheap and to completely rebuild it will cost about $300.00 as did mine. It is better than new now.
2. A 6 cylinder radiator will not cut it. I had to replace mine the first week after getting the car on the road. Any good 3 row radiator would work fine. I suggest getting a overflow tank if you plan on driving in the heat.
3. Have no idea - I would guess not.
4. for the price of a clutch - get a new one. you will be better off anyway.
5. I have no idea.
6. I got long tube headers. Any mustang dealer will be able to help with that. I get my parts at cjponyparts.com since they are close to me. They have a great catalog and a easy to use web page with reasonable shipping costs.
7. You will be able to use the electric choke. I have that set up on my 289 and it works just fine. Might want to take a close look at the carb to make sure it is usable. I got a new EB 650 and it bolted up with no adjustments needed.
8. Gas pedal linkage from a 6 will not work. I had to replace and do a little tweaking to get mine to work. E-bay is a god source.
9. If I recall - I just plugged mine up with little black caps that came with the carb. You might want to research that.

These are based on my project and I can not guarantee that they are the correct thing to do, so the best advise I can give is to do the research as you get more involved. Hope that helps a little.
TJ
orlowted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 01:55 AM   #3
65StangerCp
Registered Member

from one ehose been there and done that:

1.) need new belhousing
2.)289's did nave a larger radiator, but the larger one still wont cut it for most. Go with a direct fit radiator (4 row aluminum aftermarket piece)
3.)Fly wheel is not swapable
4.)possible, check the teeth
5.)In 79 ford used a duraspark electronic ignition. To change this you need a whole new distibutor. Otherwise, the duraspark modual is a little gray box that clearly says "DURASPARK" on it. In ford pickups this is mounted on top of the front drivers side wheel well. MSD makes adapters to plugs staight into this distributor, but if you go with an aftermarket distibutor it will be more expensive. Ignition coils for durasparks ignitions are also much more expensive. NOTE: CAM GEAR AND DISTIBUTOR GEAR MUST MATCH.
6.)Tri-Y's are the biggest that fit with the stock unmoddiffied wheels wells, if you need a pic email me. -see bottom
7.)Hook up the electric choke to any 12 volt ignition activated power source.
8.)Get a replicated stock V8 throttle linkage. make sure you have an intake that has the screw holes to mount the throttle return.
9.)To get rid of the vacum lines you will have to give up accessories. No power brakes, no EGR valve, no power steering no air pump. I run a 1 belt setup with only a water pump pully, crank pulley and alternator pulley and No powered accesories. The only vacum line I have is the Vacum advance and the PCV valve. Aftermarket intake, valve covers and carb will also remove most of the hoses. You will also have to plug the smog ports (ford calls this the thermactor ports) in the cylider heads is it was a California car-additionally you can just buy an aftermarket head without emmisions controls. Again need pics, just email me

PS: you need the motor mounts off a 66 mustang

detersd01@yahoo.com
65StangerCp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 02:16 PM   #4
bmxmon
Registered Member

im planning on changing out my distributor, carberator, intake manifold, alternator, and putting on headers. Im thinking that this should get rid of my problems. Im planning on going with edelbrock intake and carb, accel distributor, and some tight tuck headers. So i need a new bellhousing?? It looks like i wouldnt, but im sure it could be different, i didnt really look that hard. I live in minnesota, so i shouldnt have a problem with the california emissions stuff. My car doesnt have any accessories, and the only things i plan on running off the belt is the alternator and water pump/fan. What is a good radiator for me, for a good price?? That is the thing i am worried about most right now. Thanks for the help.
bmxmon is offline   Reply With Quote