MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-12-2002, 10:48 AM   #1
Shelby428cj
Registered Member

Smile Your car's Condition!

Hi everyone just wondering what car's condition was before you restored it!!! I have had some cars that were pretty bad, like a 67 with a tree growing up the engine compartment and a 65 that looked like it was found at a bottom of a pond!!! Just wanted to here some of your stories!!!
Thanks,
Karen
1969 Mustang (Project Rice Eater)
1999 Silver Mustang Saleen S281 (SQ car for stereo contests)
SQ Goddess
My Stereo Bro "tireburner163"
Shelby428cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 12:12 PM   #2
nicolette
Registered Member

Talking

Hehe!!!! Did you pay anything extra for the tree?
My beastie isn't too bad, she is definately still in the restoration process though!. I have a '68 with a front fender ding and about 4 different kinds of paint. Inside is rooted, the seats are being held together by seat covers and ductape But she goes! ( <- thats her)
Old 08-12-2002, 12:52 PM   #3
John Z
Registered Member

Current car was mechanically restored and modded, with nagging little things to take care repair. Now needs paint then show time.
Old 08-12-2002, 02:48 PM   #4
Nightingale
Registered Member

I was one of the lucky ones. She dos'd to dallas in '72 was driven for about 10 years then put in a shed. Just finished mechanical rebuild (needed a cam, really it did) Now we are finishing the refurb. All in all she was in great shape to start with.

But I'm looking for a '70 with a tree in it (maybe I can afford it that way)
Old 08-12-2002, 03:17 PM   #5
Jeff65
Registered Member

I wanted it for its good, rust free body. That's about all I got that was any good. Oh, the body only needed cowl vents, outer rear wheel houses, quarter sub panels and all new moldings. It too had five previous layers of paint, dark turquoise, white, gold, light blue metallic, and white. The side windows and the right door latch were okay.
Jeff65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 07:53 PM   #6
crewzin
Registered Member

Default Conditioning

Ive got a 70 Mach 1 out back with a Texas size ant bed under the rear and some 40lb critter toting limbs inside for a nest. Thats ok, his day is numbered. As soon as the shops finished im going hunting.
crewzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 04:25 PM   #7
mach1marvel
Registered Member

Not a good quarter panel on it!!!

It looked like the guy went "duke boy" gravel road approach jumping (the tranny & oilpan were beat to crap) & there was a hammer & a pail of barb wire fence nails rusting in the
hatch/trunk!!!

Come to think of it it might have been Coy or Vance's first car.

mach1marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 10:08 PM   #8
Nightingale
Registered Member

Default Re: Conditioning

Quote:
Originally posted by crewzin
Ive got a 70 Mach 1 out back with a Texas size ant bed under the rear and some 40lb critter toting limbs inside for a nest.
What year model is your horse. Sweet! I want a '70 so if you see another one like yours floating around texas let me know
Old 08-16-2002, 08:25 AM   #9
bug
Registered Member

Unhappy

Ha! you're all lucky! my mustang is actually a ****-box, snot-coloured holden gemini. that's the closest I am to my dream car!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mustang2.jpg (70.2 KB, 16 views)
bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 09:31 PM   #10
restomod
Registered Member

I had to replace both quarter panels, one front fender and both headlight buckets. Otherwise it was ok.

65 Mustang 2+2
408W AOD
454 rwhp / 536 rwt (N/A)
www.yamaberacing.com
restomod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 10:19 PM   #11
Shelby428cj
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bug
Ha! you're all lucky! my mustang is actually a ****-box, snot-coloured holden gemini. that's the closest I am to my dream car!

SWEET good choice for a dream car, mine too!!
Thanks for your input guys!!!!!!
See ya,
Karen
SQ Goddess
Old 08-17-2002, 02:05 PM   #12
Rev
Registered Member

Default Rats

I bought my '66 Coupe in '68. It had 17,000miles and I paid $1700. It was the family car and then the second car until about 1980 when it went into the garage (couldn't fix it and wouldn't sell it).

It sat there for 15 years before I was able to pull it out and go to work on it. I did get it mechanically redone, but the smell of the rats that had lived in it for 15 years was always present no matter how much I cleaned things. (when I first started, evidence was everywhere). Even after I redid the interior, there was still a whiff of rat smell.

When I redid the headliner, that's when I finally removed the last of the rat's nests. They had tunneled up all around the roof area. The only way to remove all of that was to remove the headliner. Once that was replaced, all rat smell was gone.

Since I have a poor sense of smell, I had to get my wife to give the car the "sniff" test repeatedly as the restoration progressed. I was relieved when she finally pronounced the car "rat smell free".

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 02:11 PM   #13
Shelby428cj
Registered Member

Default Re: Rats

Quote:
Originally posted by Rev
I bought my '66 Coupe in '68. It had 17,000miles and I paid $1700. It was the family car and then the second car until about 1980 when it went into the garage (couldn't fix it and wouldn't sell it).

It sat there for 15 years before I was able to pull it out and go to work on it. I did get it mechanically redone, but the smell of the rats that had lived in it for 15 years was always present no matter how much I cleaned things. (when I first started, evidence was everywhere). Even after I redid the interior, there was still a whiff of rat smell.

When I redid the headliner, that's when I finally removed the last of the rat's nests. They had tunneled up all around the roof area. The only way to remove all of that was to remove the headliner. Once that was replaced, all rat smell was gone.

Since I have a poor sense of smell, I had to get my wife to give the car the "sniff" test repeatedly as the restoration progressed.

I was relieved when she finally pronounced the car "rat smell free".

Rev
That is kindof funny Rev, I was gonna post a tale like that!!! My friend is over working on a 67 chevelle and this car is in pretty good condition, it runs and drives, the biggest problem is it is rusty in the trunk and some on the floor boards, any how we were taking down the headliner last night and guess what falls in the middle of my lap......... You got it a dead mouse nasty!!! It had a little home in there too, at sometime.
See ya,
Karen
SQ Goddess